BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the brain trust here: I’m planning a trip from Atlanta to the Colorado Rockies in August. The bike is a ’00 with 102k miles on it at this point. Other than the “normal” oil change, new tires, brakes, etc., what else should I consider from a preventive maintenance standpoint prior to departure? I shouldn’t have to worry about the FD since it gave up the ghost in August 2011 and I had a new one (not refurbished) installed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lube the throttle cables, especially if you haven't done the '05 cable mod.
Get a TPMS system, if you don't have one. Here's one You will feel much better, and it's on sale right now for $123+ship. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM IT'S FOR A K1200LT. They will add a different front sensor for free.
Run seafoam through the tank now.
I would put new tires on just before I went. 3K miles, no tire shop stops if possible.
I would also take a good look at your battery life.
Check your steering damper.
Clean your radiator fins.
Canisterectomy, if not already done.
Speedo calibration, if not already done.
Put together a spare bulb kit, with fuses, if not already done.
Make sure you have a tire repair kit, if not already done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.

Throttle mod - done
TPMS system - add to list (great price, good idea)
Seafoam - add to list (been a while)
New tires - on the list
Battery - on the list
Check steering damper - add to list
Clean radiator fins - add to list
Canisterectomy - add to list
Spare bulb kit w/fuses - done
Tire repair kit - done
Radiator Flush - add to list

Looks like I have just a bit of work to do/$ to spend. Others may chime in, causing my list to increase, but it's all for the better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Darryl,
When's the last time you flushed out the radiator? Now might be a good time.
And IF you have to plug a rear tire on the trip I'd recommend one of two ways. The first is to remove the rear wheel which is real easy and do it. If you elect to do it on the bike, do it on the sidestand and in gear. :rolleyes: I nearly push mine off the centerstand a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Lube the throttle cables, especially if you haven't done the '05 cable mod.
Get a TPMS system, if you don't have one. Here's one You will feel much better, and it's on sale right now for $123+ship. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM IT'S FOR A K1200LT. They will add a different front sensor for free.
Run seafoam through the tank now.
I would put new tires on just before I went. 3K miles, no tire shop stops if possible.
I would also take a good look at your battery life.
Check your steering damper.
Clean your radiator fins.
Canisterectomy, if not already done.
Speedo calibration, if not already done.
Put together a spare bulb kit, with fuses, if not already done.
Make sure you have a tire repair kit, if not already done.
what is the throttle cable lub , mod ??

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Carry a mini compressor, in addition to the tire repair kit. The CO2 cartridges are a "dissappointment" when you really need them... :eek:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but what's the difference between a "pre-trip" and normal maintenance?
I keep my bike maintained, and she's ready to go - period.
What I pack might be different for a week long trip, but the bikes just set to go. I'm leaving Friday for Utah - maybe 2,500 to 3,000 miles - and I'm not doing anything that I normally do anyway.
Good: tires, brakes, oil, gear lube, anti-freeze and a fresh pair of depends. All normal. ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Carry the mini compressor. Or, if you are riding with anyone, don't bother. There are usually more mini compressors than motorcycles in any group of motorcycles.
I never do the radiator flush, tho'.
dc

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
:histerica

What Charlie said............. :D

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
soul2blue said:
Question for the brain trust here: I’m planning a trip from Atlanta to the Colorado Rockies in August. The bike is a ’00 with 102k miles on it at this point. Other than the “normal” oil change, new tires, brakes, etc., what else should I consider from a preventive maintenance standpoint prior to departure? I shouldn’t have to worry about the FD since it gave up the ghost in August 2011 and I had a new one (not refurbished) installed.
Was the full 24K service done at the 96,000 mile mark? If so, then you should be good to go. If not and it has been a while since a full 24K was done, I would recommend doing that a couple of weeks before you leave. I NEVER do a big maintenance event on anything RIGHT before a trip. I always want a few miles to be sure I got everything back together correctly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A shake down cruise. Yes. Always very advisable after any big maintenance, or repair, etc.
A good run to make sure everything was done right.
dc

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fpmlt said:
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but what's the difference between a "pre-trip" and normal maintenance?
I keep my bike maintained, and she's ready to go - period.
What I pack might be different for a week long trip, but the bikes just set to go. I'm leaving Friday for Utah - maybe 2,500 to 3,000 miles - and I'm not doing anything that I normally do anyway.
Good: tires, brakes, oil, gear lube, anti-freeze and a fresh pair of depends. All normal. ;)
I personally don't think you're an idiot. You make a good point. I guess I should've have provided more clarity and entitled the post, "Pre-Trip Considerations." I've been riding, and doing my own wrenching for only a short time. I average about 25k-30k/year and do a decent job of keeping up with the routine scheduled maintenance, but I just wanted some feedback/ideas regarding things I may need to complete in advance of the schedule, or installation of a farkle I hadn't thought of (like a TPMS).

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Credit Card
Wad of cash
Cell Phone
Smith & Wesson (in case the first 3 don't work)

Al Capone said you can get more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word.

Just sayin........

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tvguy said:
Snacks... Don't forget to bring snacks!!!
Now there's rider with their priorities intact! :wave

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Voyager said:
Was the full 24K service done at the 96,000 mile mark? If so, then you should be good to go. If not and it has been a while since a full 24K was done, I would recommend doing that a couple of weeks before you leave. I NEVER do a big maintenance event on anything RIGHT before a trip. I always want a few miles to be sure I got everything back together correctly.
:thumb: And like David added a shakedown cruise to make sure I did it right. I do think though he meant any "extra" items to check for, like he said.
Safe Journeys!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I never really did anything special before a long trip other than the normal maintenance that was done regularly anyway.

I generally got about 15,000 miles on a set of tires and if the mileage was getting close, I'd get them swapped out for a new set. In all the years of riding a motorcycle, (started at 16) I never broke down on the road but I was prepared with a few basic tools. Today a cell phone, a little cash and credit card can get a lot fixed.

The MOA annual book is handy to carry and a list of the local BMW shops on the way...

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,996 Posts
I change my clutch slave cylinder every 80,000 miles as part of my preventive maintenance. I have seen them leaking as early as 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
498 Posts
loansumrider said:
what is the throttle cable lub , mod ??
The design of the cables was changed in 05, to a much more reliable, easier pull setup. Makes a huge difference, and much lower rate of cable failure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts