BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through tech articles in ADVrider I came across this step in reinstalling the rear drive. " Load 87kg (187lb.) onto free standing motorcycle and torque reaction link bolt to 43Nm. (32ftlb.)
A heavy person sitting on the bike is required for this step. It is important to pre-load the strut, or it won’t operate in the correct flexibility range. "
I makes perfect sense, but I haven't seen it detailed before. When removing the rear drive and undoing this link, the front one remains done up, and has quite a strong resistance to movement, hence the procedure for torquing up the rear.
Anyone here like to comment ?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hilton said:
Reading through tech articles in ADVrider I came across this step in reinstalling the rear drive. " Load 87kg (187lb.) onto free standing motorcycle and torque reaction link bolt to 43Nm. (32ftlb.)
A heavy person sitting on the bike is required for this step. It is important to pre-load the strut, or it won’t operate in the correct flexibility range. "
I makes perfect sense, but I haven't seen it detailed before. When removing the rear drive and undoing this link, the front one remains done up, and has quite a strong resistance to movement, hence the procedure for torquing up the rear.
I'll comment. . . I'm deeply offended that you refer to a 187# person as "a heavy person," not. :histerica

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More the Merrier

Tony, point taken. It was the comment as per AVd thread not mine. I did hear once that the OEM Showa shocks are set up for the average 82kg rider. That's wearing all the gear, natch. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I was just breakin' your chops, but your kind reply is appreciated. ;)

I'm down to 240-ish from 290-ish, headed for 210-ish. Seems odd that they use the weight they do for a "standard" rider. Many of the folks I've seen are built more like me or even more so.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Tony,
How ya do'in it?
Stopped eating?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hilton said:
We had my FD off, in December, to drill the SC weephole. The reinstall went smoothly and we never pre-loaded the bike to install and torque the reaction link.

The holes line up and you tighten it up. I don't understand the logic for pre-loading the suspension.

Perhaps greater minds will enlighten us! :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
PMitchell said:
Tony,
How ya do'in it?
Stopped eating?
Nope, just eating better. Cheerios or real oatmeal for breakfast, pretty much anything for lunch, and something sensible for dinner, and not after 7pm. Cut out the three or four cokes a day in exchange for two or three a week. Cut our the couple of candy bars a day in exchange for one or two a week. And the big one. . . stop eating when I get to feeling full, no matter how good it is.

It's been over a year, and I find myself making better choices and negotiating with myself over various treats. I would say that the behavioural and perspective changes regarding food is what is carrying me through.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Hilton said:
Hmmm. I never did that on any LT FD, and just re-checked the service manyual. Nothing is mentioned there about pre-loading the bike.

Is this a procedure for the newer R-1200s with the reaction link on top?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I was just breakin' your chops, but your kind reply is appreciated. ;)

I'm down to 240-ish from 290-ish, headed for 210-ish. Seems odd that they use the weight they do for a "standard" rider. Many of the folks I've seen are built more like me or even more so.
Tony, that is because BMW uses European standards where people in general are slimmer (because they walk more, have more vacation time, blah blah blah...;) ). Note that European are also a bit shorter in general. It would be interesting to see what changes they would make to follow the 80/20 rule after a serious focus group (assuming that respondents are honest with their answers regarding weight and height! :rolleyes: ).

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, you don't eat the rubber groments :)

Quote ----" We had my FD off, in December, to drill the SC weephole. The reinstall went smoothly and we never pre-loaded the bike to install and torque the reaction link. The holes line up and you tighten it up. I don't understand the logic for pre-loading the suspension." ---- Like wise when reinstalling the link, the bolt hole lines up. You do need a little force, as the "at rest" position is not "spot on" Quote ---" Is this a procedure for the newer R-1200s with the reaction link on top? "--- The procedure was for an 1150 GS so reaction link has similar geometry to the LT. Quote --- " It's been over a year, and I find myself making better choices and negotiating with myself over various treats. I would say that the behavioural and perspective changes regarding food is what is carrying me through." Well done Tony. Life Style.

·
Registered
773 Posts
European normal?

Gilles said 'in general are slimmer (because they walk more, have more vacation time, blah blah blah... ). Note that European are also a bit shorter'

So how do I fit in at 195 cms and 21 stone? Though to be honest I need to do a Tony ;-/

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
6'2" and 249lbs without ATGATT (fat & fit !!) Though to be honest I need to do a Tony ;-/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts