BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some friends coming up to look at leaves this weekend and with the ME880 toast on the LT and probably next week sometime before the ME888 fronts start shipping I decided to put a Michelin PR4 on the front. Good NIGHT! What a perfect combo. I spooned it on this morning along with new EBC HH pads then took the bike around the block. Bare in mind that around the block for me is twelve miles of some of gnarliest mountain roads. Or twelve miles of constant smiles.
I am sure I won't see the high miles, 4K, which I got out of the ME880. But the howling is gone. The bike feels good in a full lean. Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging.

I will be on the Cherohala tomorrow, so that will be the best test.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I have some friends coming up to look at leaves this weekend and with the ME880 toast on the LT and probably next week sometime before the ME888 fronts start shipping I decided to put a Michelin PR4 on the front. Good NIGHT! What a perfect combo. I spooned it on this morning along with new EBC HH pads then took the bike around the block. Bare in mind that around the block for me is twelve miles of some of gnarliest mountain roads. Or twelve miles of constant smiles.
I am sure I won't see the high miles, 4K, which I got out of the ME880. But the howling is gone. The bike feels good in a full lean. Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging.

"Well, until that center stand crap starts dragging." Lol...made me laugh and fondly remember my LT. First it's the center stand, then it's the pegs, then you're into the lower body work!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
On my '02 I used to scrape all the time and had rashes on the lowers. On the '05, it is a rare occurrence and a bit troubling if I touch. The front shows I'm using just about all of the tire that has groves on both sides.

Mike, I don't seem to recall you using the Bridgestone B-20 front like is commonly recommended here for better tire life. I suppose it is considered too hard for what you do.

I too am SHOCKED when someone reports 19k out of either tire. I am lax about checking pressures and bad about late breaking in to the middle of the corners but get in the 12k range on either end.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
On my '02 I used to scrape all the time and had rashes on the lowers. On the '05, it is a rare occurrence and a bit troubling if I touch. The front shows I'm using just about all of the tire that has groves on both sides.

Mike, I don't seem to recall you using the Bridgestone B-20 front like is commonly recommended here for better tire life. I suppose it is considered too hard for what you do.

I too am SHOCKED when someone reports 19k out of either tire. I am lax about checking pressures and bad about late breaking in to the middle of the corners but get in the 12k range on either end.
It is the rear 020 that is recommended for mileage. The front recommendation is still the 880, at least until the 888 is released.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I have the PR4 GTs on both ends of my K1300GT and really love them they really grip the road.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts

Ummm, I thought we had to scrub the tires in before starting to scrape pegs? :wow:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Thank Voyager, I had it backwards. What I get for posting after being at Oktoberfest all afternoon. As an attempt to save myself, might the Stone on front give him better grip since it wears faster than the Metzler? He seems to be more interested in grip more than life.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Thank Voyager, I had it backwards. What I get for posting after being at Oktoberfest all afternoon. As an attempt to save myself, might the Stone on front give him better grip since it wears faster than the Metzler? He seems to be more interested in grip more than life.
I am running the Stones front and rear at the moment. I don't see any significant difference in grip as compared to the 880s. The rear definitely lasts longer and the front seems to be wearing faster. I never had an issue with the 880s grip wise. They would easily allow peg scraping angles and wet grip was fine. I know many complain about them, but I don't think the LT allows a lean angle that will seriously tax any tire.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummm, I thought we had to scrub the tires in before starting to scrape pegs? :wow:
This PR4 is a used tire. And yes, you should always scrub new tires.
Fortunately, I change hundreds of tires per year. I always have decent used tires on the shelf.
I wouldn't mount a New PR4 on a bike while waiting for another tire to become available.
PR4 are very expensive.

Except for the rear 69 weight rating, the PR4 would be a great set of tires for the LT.
The way most people ride their LT, the 58 front and 69 rear weight rating would be more than safe at highway speeds...

I am not a fan on anything Bridgestone.
My bike is For Sale. The next owner will get it with a matching set of ME888.
Once they own it, they can come here and get tire advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts