BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good alternative to MS PowerPoint for presentations? I have to present graphs and data withs jpegs of students in action to a multiude of groups and am growing bored with the standard PPT backgrounds and effects.

Thanks,

·
Registered
507 Posts
RVB1019 said:
Does anyone know of a good alternative to MS PowerPoint for presentations? I have to present graphs and data withs jpegs of students in action to a multiude of groups and am growing bored with the standard PPT backgrounds and effects.
If you are not limited to the Windows platform, Apple's Keynote software is something to consider.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you're running Windoze XP or (GASP!!!!) Vista, take a look at MovieMaker. It'll let you splice together jpgs, use some pretty cool transitions, and add music. Go to http://www.dwsdad.com, click on Motorcycle Trips, then right click and download Bluebonnet Ride - 2006 for one I threw together. You can try clicking on the link, but I think my hosting company has has things goobed up again.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You might also look at the OpenOffice software at Openoffice.org. It is free and is roughly compatible with the older MS Office products. Sun also has a more comprehensive version of the office products called StarOffice that costs $70.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Aaaaaaaargghh

Please not death by Powerpoint ;-((((((

Why oh why do people hand out the slides and then the content of their 'presentation' is them reading out the slides. I can read and normally have some grasp of what is going on so the talk becomes a drone. IMHO the slides are bullet points and the speaker should be providing the extra information - force the audience to listen to a good talk.

Oops - sorry rant over

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grahamw said:
Please not death by Powerpoint ;-((((((
I like to call that powerpointlessness.

I'm from the school less is more and that graphs and pictures tell a better story than words. I agree- if I write down my presentation in slide format, why do you need me there.

I'll take a look at OpenOffice/Impress/Moviemaker this weekend.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts