BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I just find out that my plugs are Powerlet plugs where I can plug in a 12v adapter so I can power up my iPod and GPS. I called a m/c shop and the plugs are proprietory BMW plugs. I thought they would be generic. In any case, they have to order at around nine bucks for one. Does that sound right?
Whitehorse Gear wants $24 for one but comes with a 10" cable which I don't need.
So, my question, is it a proprietory plug?
Thanks
Eddie

·
Registered
717 Posts
do a 'net search for "powerlet". there are several online sources.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I mounted a standard 12v power outlet under my head light adjusting knob so I can take advanage of the standard power options.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's not really a proprietary plug. It's more like just what BMW has chosen to use for their bikes. Many retailers have a variety of adapters for your needs. As an example....
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/powerlet-complete-adapter-set?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKahrejxvbMCFYQ7MgodNBkAJg

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
In Europe, they're just a standard plug, and you can pick them up for less than $1.50.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
John Deer uses the same thing on it's tractors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on regular power outlet. I have a 2 outlet mounted in side case and can use any regular 12v or adaptors for USB. Also charge AA NICAD with USB. Got universal plugs, cords from BIG Lots, Wal-Mart. probably less than 20.00 but had fuse holders. Very versital for charging on the go.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Known as Merit plugs in Australia. Available from electronics stores for around $8.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Powerlet-style plug tends to make better contact than the cigarette-lighter style. I would be tempted to swap the plugs if possible and leave the Powerlet socket alone.

Marinco sells a "universal" socket which is supposed to work with both the regular plugs and their proprietary locking plug. It's not worth it- their locking plug locks very poorly if at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
EddieLo said:
Ok, so I just find out that my plugs are Powerlet plugs where I can plug in a 12v adapter so I can power up my iPod and GPS. I called a m/c shop and the plugs are proprietory BMW plugs. I thought they would be generic. In any case, they have to order at around nine bucks for one. Does that sound right?
Whitehorse Gear wants $24 for one but comes with a 10" cable which I don't need.
So, my question, is it a proprietory plug?
Thanks
Eddie
You can also find some adapters on eBay, sometimes less expensive if you look for "DIN Plugs."

There is a place here in KY, Derby Cycles out of Louisville, that has some on eBay. They also have a web site you can order from. I bought a couple at one of there outlet stores close by.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Two solutions for you:

I installed one of these on my bike just below the headlight adjust and it works great.

I also got one of these to use for plugging anything that might not have USB, and as a backup (I have a little Belkin cigarette to USB adaptor).

I like the powerlet because it makes a nice solid connection that is not easily disloged.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Eddie, a Big 1+ on the Powerlet to Cigarette plug (#2) from CopperStateTour's post. I have that for anything I need to plug in that isn't a Powerlet type of plug.

Addendum: And by the way that is a knock-out price at $8 bucks. I think Powerlet's price and others are in the $23 neighborhood. I'd be all over this one before they are gone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tconnell said:
Eddie, a Big 1+ on the Powerlet to Cigarette plug (#2) from CopperStateTour's post. I have that for anything I need to plug in that isn't a Powerlet type of plug.

Addendum: And by the way that is a knock-out price at $8 bucks. I think Powerlet's price and others are in the $23 neighborhood. I'd be all over this one before they are gone.
With added shipping charges it came out to $15.
Gonna check that ""proprietary" plug at my local m/c shop tomorrow..
Eddie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts