BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 k1200lt with a J&M BMW handlebar CB radio that I am trying to install. The instructions say to connect the power-up connector to the back of the radio. There is no such connection on the back of the '08 radio.

I need to know terminal number five connector location for the power up relay.

I also need to know about the PTT switch wiring for the rider. is there a specific PTT adapter cord or does this only go to with the helmet voice activation.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
SoberBiker said:
I have an 08 k1200lt with a J&M BMW handlebar CB radio that I am trying to install. The instructions say to connect the power-up connector to the back of the radio. There is no such connection on the back of the '08 radio.

I need to know terminal number five connector location for the power up relay.

I also need to know about the PTT switch wiring for the rider. is there a specific PTT adapter cord or does this only go to with the helmet voice activation.
Hi, Woody --

It's been too long since I looked at the rear of the radio to answer the first Q (I'll try to find my photos tonight to see what I can see). Off the top of my head, I do not remember a separate power connection -- I suspect you'll have to tap a switched power source output from the radio harness. I'll take a look at my schematic tonight.

On the PTT, there is no provision for a separate circuit, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. When I installed my VOICE II's (IIRC, I did three of them), I purchased a front PTT switch, installed it in the trunk next to the radio controls, then ran a pair of wires up to the front and simply tapped into the front PTT switch wires -- that way when either PTT closed, the mics opened.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well I'll be shipped in dip, two of my favorite folks coming out of lurk mode. Will we see either of you in Rapid City?

More to the point, I'm still riding my '99 and don't have a clue :D

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jeffklt said:
Well I'll be shipped in dip, two of my favorite folks coming out of lurk mode. Will we see either of you in Rapid City?

Hiya, Jeff --

Not looking good for CCR for me this year -- very active 16 yo (swimming, crew team, life guard) and office "stuff" this summer. I'm hoping to make the MOA national in July, but only because it's in my backyard and I figure I can get away with sneaking out for 2-3 days over a weekend. You coming up for it?

A big :thumb: on the '99! As much as I liked the '05 and '06 improvements, and in many ways the '05-on bikes are IMO better, in hindsight I was always more comfortable in the saddle on my '00 and '02. Good on you for having the sense to leave well enough alone :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do a search on "CB Install" (use the quotes) and you'll find a lot of information. In my case the hardware furnished for the infamous "pin 5" was not compatible with the Voice II on my '06 so I tapped into a 12 volt circuit that is switched with the ignition and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
javandyke said:
Do a search on "CB Install" (use the quotes) and you'll find a lot of information. In my case the hardware furnished for the infamous "pin 5" was not compatible with the Voice II on my '06 so I tapped into a 12 volt circuit that is switched with the ignition and it works fine.
Hey Woody, Nice to know your alive and well!

I agree with Jim. The only advantage to finding the famous PIN 5 as compared to a switched 12 volt circuit is that with PIN5 the CB will turn off and on with the radio/intercom rather than just the ignition key. Probably not a big deal. On my '05 all the pin outs on the terminal block on the back of the radio chassis are numbered. My old eyes required a bright light and a magnifying glass but I was able it identify #5 after stripping the radio chassis out of the sting ray tubberwear. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mneblett said:
Hi, Woody --

It's been too long since I looked at the rear of the radio to answer the first Q (I'll try to find my photos tonight to see what I can see). Off the top of my head, I do not remember a separate power connection -- I suspect you'll have to tap a switched power source output from the radio harness. I'll take a look at my schematic tonight.

On the PTT, there is no provision for a separate circuit, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. When I installed my VOICE II's (IIRC, I did three of them), I purchased a front PTT switch, installed it in the trunk next to the radio controls, then ran a pair of wires up to the front and simply tapped into the front PTT switch wires -- that way when either PTT closed, the mics opened.
Thanks Mark, good to hear from you. It seems like that is the logical direction. I was a bit concerned that the unit may have a lower voltage application than the 12 volt switched power.

We accomplished the PTT and have the button attached to the lft hand controls.

Funny how when we called BMW Grand Rapids, they didn't have a clue. They said they just use the Autocom and don't fool with the V.O.I.C.E. unit. So much for authorized BMW mechanics

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeffklt said:

Thanks for responding anyway Jeff. I think we are gonna go for the 12V switched power.

As far as Rapid City goes, I won't be attending this year. Lack of work since Nov '08 has put a dent into my activities this summer. But if you are planning to travel through northern Indiana on your way out to Rapid City, plan on stopping here for the night. We have a spare bedroom with your name on it.:bmw:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
javandyke said:
Thanks for the reply Jim. I am gonna be in Akron next week, you anywhere near there?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lynn_Keen said:
Hey Woody, Nice to know your alive and well!

I agree with Jim. The only advantage to finding the famous PIN 5 as compared to a switched 12 volt circuit is that with PIN5 the CB will turn off and on with the radio/intercom rather than just the ignition key. Probably not a big deal. On my '05 all the pin outs on the terminal block on the back of the radio chassis are numbered. My old eyes required a bright light and a magnifying glass but I was able it identify #5 after stripping the radio chassis out of the sting ray tubberwear. Good Luck
Hey Lynn...still kickin but barely, at least financially! :wave

We saw the terminals and might take the easy way (connecting to the 12v switched power) just so we don't strain our brains too much...LOL :p

Thanks for chimin in...good to hear from ya.:bmw:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all that have responded to my inquiry. Seems to be unanimous that a 12 V source will be acceptable, so we'll go with that.

Now If I could just get my dam cell phone to operate thru the V.O.I.C.E. III, I wouldn't have any complaints...for now :rotf:

·
Registered
183 Posts
SoberBiker said:
Thanks for the reply Jim. I am gonna be in Akron next week, you anywhere near there?
I'm located on the East side of Columbus and that's a bit far from Akron.

There is one thing to watch out for when using a switched source. If you leave the CB on and leave your key in the "R" position that allows the radio to play when the bike is not running the CB will not automatically switch off when the radio times out. My mechanic left my LT in that condidtion with the CB turned on and it killed my battery. I assume that won't happen if you find and use pin 5, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thought to ponder before connecting it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
javandyke said:
I'm located on the East side of Columbus and that's a bit far from Akron.

There is one thing to watch out for when using a switched source. If you leave the CB on and leave your key in the "R" position that allows the radio to play when the bike is not running the CB will not automatically switch off when the radio times out. My mechanic left my LT in that condidtion with the CB turned on and it killed my battery. I assume that won't happen if you find and use pin 5, but I really don't know.
Your correct Jim. Connecting to PIN 5 will allow the CB to turn off with the Radio. So, unless you do what I did and defeat the radio auto turn off you won't kill your battery if you screw up and park the bike with the radio on. I loaded my bike into the RV and it sat there for two days with the radio/cb on. I had the external speakers off since I use a headset and so didn't notice the radio was on. I got to my camp ground and went to unload the bike and found the battery totally flat. Had to swallow my pride and borrow a battery charger from a guy riding a really loud chopper staying a few sites down. :(

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lynn_Keen said:
Had to swallow my pride and borrow a battery charger from a guy riding a really loud chopper staying a few sites down. :(
Humbling isn't it? Thanks Lynn. What happens if I connect it to a switched source on the Centec?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
SoberBiker said:
Humbling isn't it? Thanks Lynn. What happens if I connect it to a switched source on the Centec?
That's a good plan. It will then power off with the ignition key and therefore avoid any possibility of killing the battery. OH yea, also a hell of a lot simpler than tearing into the rear of the radio. Those wires back there are mighty small and hard to work with!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts