BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the two ports for heated clothing or by chance are they part of an intercom system? Guess i should say on a 03 Lt, thanks Bryan

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
You really need to be more descriptive. If you are talking about the two ports on the backrest, I believe that one is for power and the other for intercom. Again, I had a 2000 model and only had one port for power. When you open them both up, what do they look like? The one for the intercom should have a pin type socket.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Those are the power ports. However, I believe only the first is connected for trickle charging the battery. The one near the passenger's backrest is for their accessories.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Those are the power ports. However, I believe only the first is connected for trickle charging the battery. The one near the passenger's backrest is for their accessories.
Meaning the lower port is always hot with 12 volts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what would you use the lower for and where do you get the power chord that fit? The rear for accessories, like what? New to this so thanks

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I used the low port to maintain the battery. You can purchase the plug either from BMW, John deer, or the internet.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Meaning the lower port is always hot with 12 volts.
That makes sense, because if the port was through the ign. switch, you wouldn't be able to charge the battery with the switch off. However, on the original poster's pic, it looks like the power port is becoming corroded. (could just be how it looks on my old computer) That is why I always install a pigtail connector directly to the battery. On my RT, I have its connector exposed to the charger between two faring joints. Not the neatest, but works.
Once I get familiar enough with my bike, I might gain enough confidence in the "live/hot" port to use it. But, that corrosion bothers me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes the lower ports are live all the time. Mine also had a little corrosion on the contacts but its quite easy to clean off. I bought myself a 7 stage charger the other day because I haven't been able to ride the bike for quite a few weeks now because of bad weather. It's so convenient just to be able to plug the charger into the port. No having to lift the seat or look around for the connection you had to attach to the battery. Just plug it in and forget about it. Works great.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
STOP!
The LT electrical system runs on 12 volts DC. The typical phone charger converts 117-120 volts AC to 5 volts DC.
Having said that, there are adapters that take 12v DC and drop it to 5 v DC. The adapters can be found on eBay but make sure they are rated for phone charging.

I ruined a Garmin GPS that I thought would run on 12V . . nope 5 volts DC.

Pick your poison!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Hella-BMW-Powerlet-Plug-Adapter-Converter-Socket-Motorcycle-12V/302341941372?hash=item4664fbe87c:g:PcIAAOSwtGlZNtAu&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-2-1A-Motorcycle-USB-Power-Port-Socket-Mobile-Charger-Single-Port-for-Phone-/162882664370?hash=item25ec9037b2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Motorcycle-Mobile-Waterproof-Power-Supply-Port-Socket-Charger-12V-2-1A-/253250221741?hash=item3af6e3b6ad

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are 12v power sockets.
I mainly use one for an air compressor for the tyres.
In the past I have used for them for sat-nav.
The main use is for heated vests etc. or other accessories.

But they can also be used for a trickle charger to keep the battery in top condition.

You will need the special BMW plug that fits and then wire into it what you want (phone charger, tyre inflator, heated socks etc).

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts