BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody added a power outlet in a k1200lt glove box? I was thinking a usb style plug. For keeping my phone charged. I was wondering how much plastic has to be removed to access that area. And tap into a power source.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know this isn't the application you're looking for, but check this mod I did to get 12v and a stereo aux input into that compartment: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=454821&postcount=2. I have a "Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway" in there powered by a cigarette adapter/usb power adapter. With this approach, the BT receiver powers on with the radio and connects automatically to my phone for tunes. To do this, I had to pull the stingray.
oosel said:
Has anybody added a power outlet in a k1200lt glove box? I was thinking a usb style plug. For keeping my phone charged. I was wondering how much plastic has to be removed to access that area. And tap into a power source.

·
Registered
85 Posts
oosel said:
I did exactly what you're talking about; great mod. I did, however, also remove the BMW radio unit (I use smart phone to Sena Bluetooth for all audio needs). I installed a unit with 3 standard (cig lighter) outlets and 1 USB outlet. Believe I picked it up at Radio Shack. As for how much plastic has to be removed, as usual with the LT, the answer is TOO MUCH...left and right upper fairings and everything that comes along with it (tip over wings, mirrors, wind deflectors, etc.). It is super convenient to have a big "glove compartment" with all those outlets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put a cig lighter on the side of the case: there was a cavity there and there was also a hot wire available that sits at the chrome crash bar level for an optional right hand BMW power outlet. You may have to make a connector if you want to avoid splicing. I did not have to remove anything permanently.
You (only!) have to remove the plastic bumper, the chrome bumper, the center plastic below the glove compartment, the rh turn signal and the right top panel to get to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've done this two different ways. First time I ran wires (power and XM antenna) in through the grommet behind the radio. Second time, I drilled a hole in the side of the oddments box, ran the wires over the top of the fuel tank into the (RH) side, and put a split grommet around the wires once in the box.

Both times required removing the stingray, but the second time I didn't have to remove the radio from the stingray. I believe I took power from the dash light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, lots of great info. I might wait until I have to pull all that plastic off to work on something else. Guess I better make a to do list for all them little mods to do when the stingray is off.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Munmi said:
Just what I was looking for. BUT, if one uses it to power a sound source for input into the intercom system, I would be concerned about "alternator whine" coming through the speakers/phones. There are several threads here that address simple filtering methodologies and one might be well prepared if they test for this before buttoning everything back up post-install. Don't ask me how I know! ;)

EDIT - Below information added...

Here is one of the product reviews that mentions this very problem on a K1200LT:
(LINK to page containing product info and the below review/feedback)

USB power.
Overall I like this product. I bought 2 of these to put on my BMW K1200LT. I ran one from the GPS unit cables on top of the tank since I don't use it. I am using this for my Driod phone. I ran the second from the power site by left left leg to CD/compartment for my mp3. The only down side is that I electrical feed back from either one when I have them plugged in and playing. I'll charge them prior to using them, switching them out as I can use my Driod as mp3 also.
Reviewed by: Fred Stoki from Linden, VA. on 6/20/2011

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pics of what I did are in the thread below...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61804

Full stingray removal required plus cleaned up/removed several harnesses and freed up a ton of cargo space on my 2000 removing the radio/cassette and CD player. Since I like the simplicity of the model year, the upgrade didn't make me feel I was ruining it with the modification for current audio technology with my ScalaRider G4 and Bluetooth enabled devices that fit in the smallest pocket (or now ample glovebox).

·
Registered
607 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts