BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you run off the power jack by the left leg. Am thinking about heated Gerbings gear. Thought I had read you can only run about half of it at a time, but can't find the thread. Forties and up, I don't find a need for heat, but thinking of doing some cold weather riding this winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gary:

I use the direct battery connect with in-line fuse for the Gerbing's gear. You get one with any piece of their gear that you buy. I run it under my seat and have the plug-in come up at the front of the seat. Much, much easier to plug in when you get on the bike than to be reaching down along your left leg to fiddle with the accessory plug! Same for my SO. Her's comes up between the front and rear seat. Also right in front of her. In the summer when not in use, I just tie wrap the cords under the seat and out of sight. The charging capacity of the LT is outstanding, as much as some cars. 700 amps comes to mind, but that stuff is out of my field!

Can the LT handle the heated gear? Absolutely! My normal winter "load".....heated jacket liner, and socks for the both of us, her heated gloves plus both seats and my grips. On really cold days add my heated gloves. Never been any issues with drainage on the battery, even with all this gear.

Dick

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Having owned a couple of BMW heated vests and now a Gerbing jacket liner,
I can say you've made an excellent choice, however you may want to also consider a thermostat for the Gerbings, without it their gear will cook you, it works that good.

As far as what you can run of the LT, I've not even come close to the limit with my jacket liner and a heated pants and jacket combination for her, heated seats, handgrips, stereo, a half a dozen extra lights on the front of the bike and all the taillights and marker lights on the trailer, my voltage meter still reads 13.4 at speed and 12.4 at idle

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
IIRC, the power outlet shares a 15 amp circuit with the rear outlet, the radio, and the top case (that's close, but probably not exact).

You & the passenger should be able to wear heated gear from head to toe and not exceed 15 amps. If you do, simply run it directly from the battery with their included hookup.

This thread discusses some of this. I thought I had posted a spreadsheet of power requirements, by Gerbing product, but can't find it at the moment.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The left side power outlet shares a 15A fuse with the wind screen motor. The map light, top case light, and top case power outlet share another 15A fuse.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
DRothermel said:
The charging capacity of the LT is outstanding, as much as some cars. 700 amps comes to mind, but that stuff is out of my field!
More around 67-80 amps and 840 watts....700 amps would power a small town.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I may just have large busy feet but I went the same way as Dick after kicking the powerlet plug loose a few times and worrying I might eventually damage the receptacle.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Morley said:
More around 67-80 amps and 840 watts....700 amps would power a small town.
Interesting the the new GT has even more output. To the turn of 945 watts! Woohoo!!!

As for the topic of this thread, connect all of your heated gear DIRECTLY to the battery. It is much more effective that way.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, I do have a dual thermostat, just have never used any of it. Think I will just go ahead and wire it to the battery based on comments here.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
messenger13 said:
Interesting the the new GT has even more output. To the turn of 945 watts! Woohoo!!!

As for the topic of this thread, connect all of your heated gear DIRECTLY to the battery. It is much more effective that way.
What you didn't tell us, old buddy, is that thanks to the wonderful Canbus system on your new GT, you CAN'T plug in a full Gerbing suit (pants and jacket) into the 12V DC accessory socket because it will draw too much current and shut off. We don't have that problem on the LT. :p

- Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts