BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing the Smartire system I got from Dan Martin. I have installed the sensors and tires on the rims and everything seems ok there. I am now in the process of mounting and wiring in the monitor. I am looking at locating the monitor under the gps shelf. Can somebody recommend an 'ignition on' power source. It doesn't need to be real close because I have an empty conduit that runs from the front of the bike to the battery compartment that I put in place last year when I had the tupperware off.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I tapped the power for the rear heated seat. Not sure which color it is though.

Skinned the insulation,soldered connection and a 5 amp fuse in line.

dan

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The good old map light center of the dash.
I run my Smartire / GPS / Radar off that switched circuit :)

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
motorhead said:
The good old map light center of the dash.
I run my Smartire / GPS / Radar off that switched circuit :)
Same here, map light using some clip-on 1/4 spade adapters. Very simple and very clean, with no additional fuse required.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meese said:
Same here, map light using some clip-on 1/4 spade adapters. Very simple and very clean, with no additional fuse required.
That was my first thought. When I checked for voltages at the 3 terminals on the bulb socket I couldn't find a set of connections that powered up with the ignition turned on. Checked the BMW Maintenance Instruction manual page 2/52 and the corrected page 2/52 and the Clymer M501 manual page 311, illustration 78, each gives a different location for the fused feed to the map light. The Clymer wiring diagram on page 612 shows the map light fuse being powered from the 'on' side of the ignition switch. There is no map light switch shown in the circuit. The "official" print information I have is contradictory and confusing, to say the least.

I don't know if I'm screwing things up or not. The one thing I am satisfied with, at this point, is I'm not able to get an 'ignition on' circuit at the map light connections. Does this seem normal or can someone clear the fog for me? The bike, by the way is an '05 LT.

TIA

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can anybody tell me if this system is capable of switching to METRIC please.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Colyn said:
Can anybody tell me if this system is capable of switching to METRIC please.
You can get them in Metric. The wheel sensors are all the same. The receiving unit on the dash is either US or metric.

dan

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Colyn said:
Just confirm this for me please ... if I order this from that company that makes them I have a choice for Metric units ?

http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_mc_sys.htm
Colyn,

when I purchased my unit three years ago they did not have metric units available in the US. I had to buy mine from Germany.
At that time they had the policy that the units were specified to the market area so in US the reading was in psi and in Europe in kg/cm2 or in bar.

Maybe the situation is different now, but that should be easy to find out...

Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts