BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 RT and want to hook up my GPS as soon as I get a mount.
My plan was to plug in the GPS power cord into the receptacle.
I was told, however, that there is a power connector in the dash somewhere intended to provide power to a GPS. Be a lot cleaner installation.
Is anyone familiar with where exactly this is located and where it can be accessed?
Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There is a a connector taped up just under the headstock.If you look up from the floor you will see it taped there.You can get a plug from your dealer or ebay to fit to your gps cable that will fit this connector.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Phil speaks the truth - it's there and there's a special cable from BMW to use it.

However, before you make a decision to buy the cable and use that connection - you need to know it is a switched connection [at least on my 2007]. If you have a reason to keep your GPS powered, you might consider a direct connection to the battery - or a connection through a FuzeBlock or similar - that keeps your GPS alive.

An example is if you ride rallies - you'll want it on all the time you're doing so. If you just need it for "How do I find Aunt Gracies house from here" you probably don't need a constant connection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are quick. Thanks a lot.
I'll have to look for the cable.
Uhh, Steve......I don't have an Aunt Gracie though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
philh24 said:
There is a a connector taped up just under the headstock.If you look up from the floor you will see it taped there.You can get a plug from your dealer or ebay to fit to your gps cable that will fit this connector.

BMW #82000419434

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't have to worry about loosing power to the GPS if you're using a newer Zumo 600 or 660 as after power is lost from the bike the device asks you if you want to stay on and run off of the GPS's battery!

Dave

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Just to confuse things, the plug I bought to fit that GPS connector is # 833 0041 3 585. And on my 2010 bike that plug stays hot for 60 seconds after the ignition is turned off. Also when you un tape it there will be a dummy plastic plug in the connector to keep it sealed off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Does anyone know if this power cable is present on a 2009 R1200RT? If so, is it in the same location? I just bought a new leftover 2009 about 4 months ago and would like to utilize this cable, if there is one on the 2009's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts