BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in the forum about folks switching from manual to power center stand. I would like to go the other way.
My 2006 came with the powered stand, but now it is inoperative. I have yet to remove it to find out why, but I suspect it is cranked and is out of oil. My first LT was 2003 that had a manual stand. I had no problem with it, used it a lot. What I need to know is what parts do I need to switch back to a manual stand? Will the manual stand fit in the power stand mount?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
As far as mounting, the two mount in the same holes, which it is why it is so easy to retrofit a power stand onto a pre-power LT.

Only concern would be for electric interlocks, which are likely limited to the side stand switch which kills the engine if you shift into gear with the side stand down. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
They also have an '05 FD . Opening price is $100. No bidders yet.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

This is a BMW Dealer

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
All you need is the stand itself
46522332167 CENTER STAND4.61 1 $279.60 not the entire mount. The mount is identical for all model years. And for that manner you could always just pull your's off and have an arm welded on to it to make it a manual operation.

I have rebuilt several of these actuators successfully and have all the seals on hand as well as new motors. They usually just leak down on oil and then fail to operate fully.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I purchased a wrecked 05 LT and someone stole the elec. center stand and side stand.
I was using jack stands on the crash bars to hole the bike up while I worked on it.
Bought center stand and side stand from a 2002 LT. Bolted right up, and wiring plugged in. My bike will die when placed into gear with the side stand down.
I sealed the elec. connection for the elec. stand with sealer just in case I wanted to go back to OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
kclineman10 said:
I purchased a wrecked 05 LT and someone stole the elec. center stand and side stand.
I was using jack stands on the crash bars to hole the bike up while I worked on it.
Bought center stand and side stand from a 2002 LT. Bolted right up, and wiring plugged in. My bike will die when placed into gear with the side stand down.
I sealed the elec. connection for the elec. stand with sealer just in case I wanted to go back to OEM.
I had an 02 and that is what I would have done if I had purchased a newer model instead of the K1600. Not having a power center-stand, on the K1600 was for me, a plus.

I know that some like the power stand, but to me, all of the extra hydraulics, electronics and weight for something that I hardly ever use would just be clutter. I never understood the attraction.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
DanDiver said:
I know that some like the power stand, but to me, all of the extra hydraulics, electronics and weight for something that I hardly ever use would just be clutter. I never understood the attraction.
For those of us with injuries and unable to lift the bike onto the center stand manually, the power version is a godsend. Fortunately, you are not in this category. One more expensive part to fail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jzeiler,

I was hoping that would be the case. That way I can keep the electrics simple so the side stand kill switch still operates.

Having a arm welded on is another option.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
deputy5211 said:
For those of us with injuries and unable to lift the bike onto the center stand manually, the power version is a godsend. Fortunately, you are not in this category. One more expensive part to fail.

Hi Tony, Now I can see the need... Knew that there had to be one good reason and I can definitely see your point. Living where it is flat, the only time I ever use a center-stand is for maintenance.

By the way - Happy Birthday.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
DanDiver said:
Hi Tony, Now I can see the need... Knew that had to be one good reason and I can definitely see your point. Living where it is flat, the only time I ever use a center-stand is for maintenance.

By the way - Happy Birthday.
Thank you, Dano!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts