BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Power Center Stand Issue

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tom39 
#1 ·
2007 LT, 4,600mi

Last weekend my power center stand decided not to work 100%. It never displayed any prior signs of failure, it just decided that it was tired and would only lift the bike about half way before giving up. Once it gave up, use of the stand was restricted and a sand dial appeared in my instrument display indicating a wait period was required before I was able to try and lift the bike again.
My solution was to use a block of wood 1in thick under the rear tire to relieve the pressure on the stand as it lifted. This worked fine but was a real pain in the butt.
After I returned home I parked the bike in the garage and forgot about the block. Out of habit i pressed the stand button and much to my surprise it worked just fine.
Anyone ever have this issue?

Thanks
TOM G

#2 ·
No, cannot say that I have had that yet, but it could be battery charge related. 3 years is about time to start thinking about replacement batteries. I just ordered and installed an Odyssey PC680C

I have seen other reports of problems where the stand would not fully work if the battery was not fully charged, but I do not recall the details.

There are a couple of threads about electric center stand rebuilds in the forum.

Bill

#3 ·
Hey Tom,

Mine would occasionally "give up" and drop. Usually try #2 worked. I know there are a bunch of interlocks that cause it to stop. Brake application will cause it to go out.

I've heard of some relay problems, but then again, with low hours I would be surprised.

Like Bill said, there is a lost of information about how to rebuild it and where to find a replacment motor. I would doubt you're there yet.

Any chance it was "hotter than blazes" when you tried it? I know electrical motor resistance can increase with temp.

Could be the battery as well, but, usually when you use the stand, you just rode her, so the battery should be charged.

Good luck and keep us abreast.

Joe

#4 ·
Tom, was the bike facing downhill? I've had this happen at the car wash when the grade is downhill to the drain (the only time I'd park facing downhill on the centerstand). When parking uphill mine raises fine, it's just take a bigger push to knock off the stand. Model year probably doesn't matter, mine is also an 07. Good luck.

Fred

#5 ·
Hi Tom.

Hopefully its just one of the little electrical problems mentioned here and in other threads... however if not...
Have pulled mine apart a couple of times now after failing completely, put new starter motor on it and some new seals.... lot of discussion here
After the last re-install its been working fine, until yesterday... failed to go "up" enough to sit on the centre-stand when I got home from work parked on a flat surface, normally I park slightly uphill at home. Parked at work this morning (slight uphill) and the bike went up fine again.
Check to see if you have any oil on the actuator rod... might have lost a little oil..
I think that's the problem I have with current intermittent failure, still haven't got quite enough oil back in it. But who knows for sure with these damn things... :(

cheers

#6 ·
Thought I'd toss in a word or three about (in my case) Pinnacle Extended Warranty.......my bike is an 05....and of course the "NEW" hydraulic/electric center-stand was brand spanking new then....therefore it's NOT listed under the "COVERED" or "NOT COVERED" list of items......which, in the end, means it's NOT covered. However if I'd had the PREMIER COVERAGE and it had broken down in MONTANA, while I was "on the road".....it would have been covered......but NOT covered if it gone bad while riding here in my home area......at least that's the way I understand it after calling to ask a few questions of Pinnacle. The guy there was pretty knowledgeable of what has been going wrong with these Geezer Gliders..... Read your policy closely......you do have to pay all costs up front and THEN get reimbursed later......UNLESS you are "on the road"....then they (Pinnacle) deals with the dealer and guarantees payment.

So......pay attention...........

#7 ·
I also had the center stand issue (a couple of months ago) and it was a battery/charging issue. Battery was weak, and if driving at night with additional lights.... the stand was iffy.

Haven't had any problems since replacing the battery, and turning off accy lights a few minutes prior to using the stand. .

Chris Ogle

#8 ·
Well the factory warranty has not expire as of yet so I made an appointment to have it checked out at the local dealer. If indeed it is a problem with the stand then I am hoping that they will catch it. The issue I have now is that the stand is now working and without a failure I'm not sure what they will be able to do or find.
I was hoping someone else had a similar issue and I could use that to lead them in the right direction.

WildBil, As for the weak battery. I'm not sure if it was or not. I did however have the bike running as I tried to put it on the stand. Don't know if that matters though.

As for your thought joegottberg, it was hotter than 2 squirrels making love in a wool sock that day and the bike was parked on its stand in direct sun on an asphalt drive. Maybe I can try and duplicate that situation and see what happens.

Thanks All
TOM G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.