BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am in the market for a sport-touring bike to replace my CBR1100XX. I am hoping to not give up too much in the handling department and I would have to assume I have something to gain power-wise because I hardly ever rev my XX above 6K anyway.

Never owned a BMW or even ridden one. The other bike I'm looking at is the Concours 14, but that's a lot of weight to be lugging around. I'm a low-end power junkie, I rarely rev my bikes very high so it seems all that sportbike powerband is going to waste. Anyone here grow up on sportbikes?

·
Registered
241 Posts
That was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Connie either. I'm not a big high RPM for power guy. If you rarely revved your Blackbird over 6K, I think you'd be bored with the Connie's engine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
RyanW said:
Hey all, I am in the market for a sport-touring bike to replace my CBR1100XX. I am hoping to not give up too much in the handling department and I would have to assume I have something to gain power-wise because I hardly ever rev my XX above 6K anyway.

Never owned a BMW or even ridden one. The other bike I'm looking at is the Concours 14, but that's a lot of weight to be lugging around. I'm a low-end power junkie, I rarely rev my bikes very high so it seems all that sportbike powerband is going to waste. Anyone here grow up on sportbikes?
RyanW,

I recently made the move from a sport bike to the RT. My last bike was a 2002 Yamaha R1, great bike but I needed something more practical that did not continually temp my right hand :D .

Unlike you I didn't have a problem with the higher end of the rev range but eventually my bank account would...solo bike cops are all over and come from what appears to be nowhere.

Prior to my renting a 2011 RT for a day I had never ridden a boxer or any BMW for that matter, what a treat. Immediately upon mounting the bike I felt comfortable, then I fired it up and just knew I was about to have an incredible ride. Approximately 300 miles later I was sold that the RT was exactly what the motorcycle gods wanted me to have. A short time later I ordered a Fluid Grey 2012 RT w/ Premium Equipment. As of yet I have not received the bike but anticipate arrival on or around 6 July.

If you are remotely interested in the bike...ride one. Before you ride one be ready to follow through with the purchase because that will be an overwhelming desire.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Aloha

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Rumor control has it that the RT plays very well with sport bikes in twisties in 4th and 5th gear. Passing crotch rockets with the luggage on gets some really interesting looks from the riders. Just rumors you understand... Not that I have any personal knowledge of such things, however... :rolleyes:

As noted above, a short ride probably will not convince you. 300 miles plus will require a checkbook. Here is how I got hooked: Very Expensive Oil Change:

http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...-R1200R-report&p=151082&viewfull=1#post151082

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interesting guys. Looking at the other bikes out there, there is nothing else with 1200cc with this kind of touring aneminities AND weighs just a little more that the sportbike I have been riding for 10 years.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RyanW said:
Very interesting guys. Looking at the other bikes out there, there is nothing else with 1200cc with this kind of touring aneminities AND weighs just a little more that the sportbike I have been riding for 10 years.
Isn't it amazing how much bike you get for the given weight of the machine? :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a question about the front suspension, it doesn't have traditional fork set-up which means the ride height is non adjustable, correct? I have lowered my bikes ever so slightly in th epast just to get a firm feeling in the ground. I also like they lower center of gravity for the handling of the bike. Are there any options?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
RyanW said:
I have a question about the front suspension, it doesn't have traditional fork set-up which means the ride height is non adjustable, correct? I have lowered my bikes ever so slightly in the past just to get a firm feeling in the ground. I also like they lower center of gravity for the handling of the bike. Are there any options?
Actually the new RT's have a low suspension option if you need it. For the existing bikes, there are a number of companies that can set up lowered suspensions. The bikes with the ESA II suspension setup move up and down a bit, but not much, depending on preload. Since you are coming from standard fork suspension, the BMW telelever front suspension will take a bit of getting used to, but it works really well, and you may not need to do anything with it. You will immediately notice the lack of front end dive on braking. The Telelever combined with the Paralever rear give a very nice ride with the ESA in sport mode if you are playing in the twisties.

·
Registered
127 Posts
RyanW said:
No kidding? Does that low suspension mode effect anything other than ride height?
A low suspension R1200RT cannot be equipped with ESA. Other than that, I can't think of anything else the option changes about the bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Before I bought my RT, I hadn't had a bike in about 20 years. My last bike was a Honda 700 Interseptor....back when crotch rockets we first becoming popular.

I have always loved crotch rockets, but don't really find them too practical (hey I must be getting older!). I find the RT is the perfect cross between the crotch rocket and a touring bike. If that is what your looking for, the RT is probably for you. If not, keep looking.

Everyone is different, so I suggest riding one to see if it is what you want. I love mine!! Ride is smooth, handling is light and nimble, weight is very low, options are pretty great. It corners like it is on rails....about like a sport bike does. I can't ask for a better bike myself, and I know I would never enjoy riding as much as I do if it were not for the RT.

I say, find a loaner or rental....twist the throttle and see what you think!!

Best of luck....Alaskan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a local guy that rents RT's. I'll be test riding as soon as he has one available.

Then there's the price. The MSRP of 17,500-ish, what doesn't that come with? I don't need the radio, but I do want all the basic cruise, heated grips etc... Also, what are people paying for these otd?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Look for a low mileage used one. I bought my 2007 last year with only 5,000 miles on it for $13K, where I was looking at a new one at around $20K. Mine was well taken care of, with lots of farkles. I think it was better than new, myself!!

Check out ebay. There are a few good BMW dealers that advertise there. Check out Craig's list locally, also.

Alaskan

·
Registered
241 Posts
I paid $19K for mine and it has all the bells and whistles. End of the year and the dealers were trying to offload the 2011's. Honestly, the warmer months are the worst time to buy but the best time to sell.

·
Registered
250 Posts
RyanW said:
That is the great balancing act the RT has. Munich really pulled something off with the RT.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts