BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my local dealer, Bob's BMW, replace the rear roller bearing and tapered bearing in my K1200LT. I disassembled the unit and took the complete unit to them and reinstalled the unit myself. Everything feels great, smooth, no play, and very quiet. However, when I chop the throttle or down shift, the rear of the bike jumps to the left. It is very noticable and disconcerting. Bob's said bring it by and they would check it out. Has anyone had this problem? It did not do this prior to the bearing replacement.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
I guess just one question. Did you set the pre-load on the pivot bearings to 7 Nm? And hold it while you torqued the jam nut to 160 Nm? Could be a bit of play there.

Also the replacement of BOTH bearings usually requires the preload on the taper bearing to be re-set. As well as the tooth backlash and contact pattern check (more so with pinion replacement). Many dealers don't have the tools for this. But I suspect Bob's does given their rep on repairs.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Stanyo said:
I recently had my local dealer, Bob's BMW, replace the rear roller bearing and tapered bearing in my K1200LT. I disassembled the unit and took the complete unit to them and reinstalled the unit myself. Everything feels great, smooth, no play, and very quiet. However, when I chop the throttle or down shift, the rear of the bike jumps to the left. It is very noticable and disconcerting. Bob's said bring it by and they would check it out. Has anyone had this problem? It did not do this prior to the bearing replacement.
See if you can detect any side do side movement of the final drive housing buy pushing/pulling the wheel side to side. Sounds like the pivot bearings are not properly set. If the bearings are damaged or not torqued properly, the housing will have side to side play in the swing arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts