BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went for a ride today, I noticed a noise , almost a vibration when I leaned/turned to the left. It almost sounded like my center stand was loose and vibrating but it only happened when I was leaning or turning to the left. Checked my center stand and it was ok. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just a few random items to check: a) if you're running ME880's they will tend to 'growl' or 'howl' when leaned over b) rear differential/bearings may be getting ready to let go c) exhaust header bolt(s) may need retorquing d) vibration dampener (located underneath the transmission) may be loose, easy to retighten e)exhaust heat shield may be loose. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Probably feathered tires. How many miles on them? The left side of the tires (especially the front) wears faster than the right in the US, so my bet is you are hearing that. Rub your hand backward and forward on the treads, you will likely feel the difference, if it is not readily visible.

If you have a lot of tread left, just get used to it, it will likely go away when you put new tires on.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have almost the exact same problem. I have narrowed it down to the slight cupping of the rear 880. The noise didn't present itself until after a 1200 mile interstate ride. I guess the 880s would rather be ridden in corners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts