BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day LT riders :wave , I have a concern and wonder can anyone help me. My LT headlights stay on when I turn the switch off, is this a sign of a bad switch or, is my battery needing replacement? Has anyone experienced this problem with their LT? Thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
Could be a bad switch... Could be a wire harness issue... Could be a relay problem...

How long do the lights stay on after you turn off the key?

If you turn the key to lock, do the lights stay on?

Any problems that you can see when the bike is running? (i,e, headlight flicker, on one minute off the next)

If you turn off the bike and let it stand for 10 mins, will it restart?

Let us know...

But for this I lean on a bad relay... Still under warranty???

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Let me guess, the last time you tried to start it it barely cranked over? If so the starter relay could have fused together and then melted some wires. I had one that I fixed that had melted so many wires together the thing would still run with the key off.

If that was not the case then I'll have to research a bit more.

The above only applies to the older bikes (pre-2003) from the looks of your avatar you have an 05 +. The only relay is the load shed (or relief) and that would not cause this. Fuse F5 is the fuse and it gets power from the ignition switch. Pull the fuse and see if it goes out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hope you don't mean the headlight switch....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all but when I turn the switch off the light stays on, everything else seems to be ok, I think it might be the switch but this problem only started when I replaced the battery. and that was about a year ago. I dont have a shed or garage and the bike stays outside with a nelson riggs all weather cover. Right now I changed the battery to a more powerfull cranking amp and so far the light is going out .... go figure :eek: I still concerned

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
You will just have to take a trip up here and we can check it out some time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you sir :wave I will have to do that. by the way, if you know anyone making that trip from the Birmingham al area and they can give me enough notice to take off from the job, I'll be more the happy to come meet ya :)

BMW, The Ultimate Driving Machine :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jzeiler said:
Let me guess, the last time you tried to start it it barely cranked over? If so the starter relay could have fused together and then melted some wires. I had one that I fixed that had melted so many wires together the thing would still run with the key off.

If that was not the case then I'll have to research a bit more.

The above only applies to the older bikes (pre-2003) from the looks of your avatar you have an 05 +. The only relay is the load shed (or relief) and that would not cause this. Fuse F5 is the fuse and it gets power from the ignition switch. Pull the fuse and see if it goes out.[/QUOTE

No sir, It's a 2000 :) I jsut dressed it up a little with auto zone fog lights and some odds and ends touch ups from Just Ride It

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BEhrler said:
Could you possibly be turning the key in the off direction too far. If so, it could be the parking light that's on.
I thought it might be that too but it's not i'll keep intouch :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
One other thing to consider, is this an HID light with a relay? If so then that relay could be sticking. I have had that happen before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This thing is puzzling me folks, my bike is a 2000 K1200LT, as far as I know I dont have a delay when I turn the switch off but, when I do, my head lights stay on for about 5 minutes then they go off.. What's up with that? everything is working fine on the bike and I have no problem starting or driving the bike. does this year bike have a delay that i was never aware of?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
That is weird.

Does the head light come on when you turn on the key? If so then does it go off and stay off while the starter button is pressed and then come back one when you release the starter?

There may have been some modifications done by the previous owner. I have modified mine so the head light does not come on until I hit the Hi beam switch to trigger a latching relay. I have seen stranger things...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jzeiler said:
That is weird.

Does the head light come on when you turn on the key? If so then does it go off and stay off while the starter button is pressed and then come back one when you release the starter?

There may have been some modifications done by the previous owner. I have modified mine so the head light does not come on until I hit the Hi beam switch to trigger a latching relay. I have seen stranger things...

Thanks, But the lights come on like regular when I turn the switch on and start the bike everything is fine. It's just when the bike is off the lights delay then go out... :cool: I'm gonna monitor them very closely..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just want to thank everyone for there input and help in this matter.... Now, can BMW release the new K1200LT......! :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
It almost sounds like it is somehow tied into the tip over wing lights. I mean they fade as you describe. Kinda strange for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It almost sounds like someone put a Chrysler headlight controller in it. My truck and car both will stay on for five minutes and then shut down automatically. Try shutting it off with the high beam on and see if it does the same thing. Also I notice there has been additional lighting added under the headlamp. Wouldn't surprise me if something was rigged up special when that was done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
my guess is a intermitant short. Pull the neg battery cable and put a short tester between it and the terminal on the battery with the key off. if it lights the tester youve a short. I dont think it is something thats been added as the batteries on bikes dont hold a lot of power to run lights with the bike off. If this is the case remove it asap or one of these days youll not be able to start your bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts