BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a ~ 8000 Km (5000 mile) trip with my son, from Ontario Canada to Calgary Alberta. I changed my engine oil and rear drive oil before I left ( at 3095 Km) and right after I got back. I sent samples of each for analysis.
The bad news is that my engine oil results ( from the oil that I drained when I returned from Calgary) came back indicating a possible slow coolant leak into the engine. This was indicated by high sodium levels. (204 ppm)
Wear Check advised to check my coolant level and to drive no more than 800 Km (500 miles) and drain the oil again and resample.
I did check my coolant level during the trip and DID notice that it was slowly dropping.
Right now I'm not a happy LT owner as you can imagine!!!

The good news is that my rear drive oil analyses are now OK after the first sample which showed high iron levels.

Thank goodness I decided to do oil analysis!!!

So - I'd suggest you all keep an eye on your coolant levels (it is easy to place a small mark on the coolant reservoir)

This is what Wear Check had to say:

"We recommend that you drain the oil from the component if this has not already been done. We recommend an early resample to confirm this situation, however, a minimum of 10 hours, 500 miles or 800 kilometers on the oil is required before resampling to prevent false positive glycol reactions that can be experienced with new oil. Check for low coolant level. Test for glycol is negative. Water treatment chemicals present, indicating slow coolant leak. "

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Actually, the best news is that your LT is still under warranty. But I am a little more than mildly surprised at this post. This is the first time I've ever read about coolant contamination in the motor oil. But as we all know, it's a machine made by man, and they do fail.

Keep is updated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would not drive it anymore, 06 should be warranty anyway. Sound like headgasket. Thank God for the Oil Analysis. Might not be a bad idea to use another company for oil analysis, this way you would have two independant companies telling your dealer that there is coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amsoilguy said:
I would not drive it anymore, 06 should be warranty anyway. Sound like headgasket. Thank God for the Oil Analysis.

Good point. I'll ask for a formal recommendation from my dealer before I drive it any more. (I was scheduled to take it to them this Friday for the 10,000Km/6000mile check)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
amsoilguy said:
I would not drive it anymore, 06 should be warranty anyway. Sound like headgasket. Thank God for the Oil Analysis. Might not be a bad idea to use another company for oil analysis, this way you would have two independant companies telling your dealer that there is coolant in the oil.
I don't think he needs a second opinion. I think that bike needs to be trailered (at the dealer's expense) ASAP, and let them do their job. Or at least call the dealer first thing in the morning and ask them how they want it handled. They may just ask to ride the bike into the dealer. I'm not sure that riding it another 50-100km would hurt anything anyway.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
This is not common at all, but it has happened a few times. There was another one a few weeks ago.

The likely culprit is the seals between the water pump and oil pump. They are in a common housing on the same shaft.

See attached cutaway from the service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dshealey said:
This is not common at all, but it has happened a few times. There was another one a few weeks ago.

The likely culprit is the seals between the water pump and oil pump. They are in a common housing on the same shaft.

See attached cutaway from the service manual.
The dealer started checking the bike today. The Tech said that he could not see any leak at the water pump. He says there are two seals (one for the oil side and one for the water side) with a telltale drain hole between. He saw no indication of anything from the telltale.
Next step is a pressure test to see if it is the head gasket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Coolant in Oil

Another member of this site MinnetonkaAL just received his bike back after a month in the shop for the same problem. Rode with him this week. He can explain it beter, but manufacturing defect in sealing caused the contamination. BMW cooperated in the repair.

Mirage

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mirage said:
Another member of this site MinnetonkaAL just received his bike back after a month in the shop for the same problem. Rode with him this week. He can explain it beter, but manufacturing defect in sealing caused the contamination. BMW cooperated in the repair.

Mirage
Where was the sealing problem located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was my bike with this problem a few weeks ago. Long story short (as I'm having internet connection problems), have the dealer pressure test it, and check the amount of high temperature sealant around the pan. The LT does not have a head gasket, but instead they use a sealant. I'll try posting more of my story later if anyone is interested in how BMW and the dealer handled everything.....I was very pleased!!

Al

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
MinnetonkaAl said:
The LT does not have a head gasket, but instead they use a sealant. Al
Glad you are happy, but I would find another dealer more knowledgable as the LT DOES use a head gasket. Now there are other places that they only use sealant and no gasket so maybe there was just some mis-communication.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
MinnetonkaAl said:
It was my bike with this problem a few weeks ago. Long story short (as I'm having internet connection problems), have the dealer pressure test it, and check the amount of high temperature sealant around the pan. The LT does not have a head gasket, but instead they use a sealant. I'll try posting more of my story later if anyone is interested in how BMW and the dealer handled everything.....I was very pleased!!

Al
Strange info your dealer gave you. The LT does have a head gasket. The oil pan also uses a rubber gasket. The timing cover does not use a gasket, but covers no water passages. No gasket on the intermediate crankcase housing, but again, no water passages there either.

It would be nice if your dealer could tell you what actually leaked, and not a bunch of gibberish.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No leak found

The dealer could not find a leak. He ran a pressure test for 1 hour on the cooling system at 2 bar (30 psi) and did not drop at all. I was worried that this might happen.
All I can do is put more miles on it and watch the coolant level carefully and wait for the next oil analysis.
One thing I dont know - is how much does the level norammly drop in the reservoir? Is there always some evaporation and level drop? Anyone got any info?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RealWing said:
The dealer could not find a leak. He ran a pressure test for 1 hour on the cooling system at 2 bar (30 psi) and did not drop at all. I was worried that this might happen.
Can we suspect a faulty oil analysis at this point?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told that the coolant was leaking at the sump. They had done a pressure test and actually saw it leaking. Not being a mechanical person, maybe I misunderstood and wrote something incorrectly....not sure. Whatever the case, I was told that my leak was caused by the high temperature sealant not being adequate from the factory. I sure hope they found the real problem and that I won't have additional problems. I guess I'll be doing an oil analysis too.

Al

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
messenger13 said:
Can we suspect a faulty oil analysis at this point?
I had wondered about that as well, or maybe contamination of the sample. Seems unlikely but not impossible. Will know for sure at next analysis.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Latest oil analysis results

The latest results are now showing significant coolant contamination in the oil. In addition, I've been keeping an accurate track of my coolant loss. I used a calibrated syringe and "calibrated" my coolant reservoir. the results and photo's are attached.
My dealer talked to BMW Tech Support and they offered to work on the bike over the winter (yes winter has arrived here in Ontario, Canada!!!) and store it free of charge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I agree with the prior statement , Water pump oil pump seal and bushings are the problem.Highly unlikely it would be the head gasket.

Any white smoke in the exhaust? If not Head gasket fine!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
murray said:
I agree with the prior statement , Water pump oil pump seal and bushings are the problem.Highly unlikely it would be the head gasket.

Any white smoke in the exhaust? If not Head gasket fine!
I had suspected the water pump as well, but in looking at the layout, there are 2 separate seals (one on the coolant side and one on the oil side) with a tell-tale leakoff line in between. If any coolant is getting past the coolant seal, it should (??) run out the tell-tale drain and onto the ground (Arrow A in photo 38 from the Clymer manual)

I havent been awar of any white smoke - but never looked back to see!!! The rate of coolant loss is still quite small (0.05 ml/Km), so I'm not sure there would be any white smoke?
It may be a couple of months before we know for sure, but I'll post the results and hopefully some pics of the leak area.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
RealWing said:
I had suspected the water pump as well, but in looking at the layout, there are 2 separate seals (one on the coolant side and one on the oil side) with a tell-tale leakoff line in between. If any coolant is getting past the coolant seal, it should (??) run out the tell-tale drain and onto the ground (Arrow A in photo 38 from the Clymer manual)

I havent been awar of any white smoke - but never looked back to see!!! The rate of coolant loss is still quite small (0.05 ml/Km), so I'm not sure there would be any white smoke?
It may be a couple of months before we know for sure, but I'll post the results and hopefully some pics of the leak area.
Thanks for the reply.
Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts