BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2000 LT over two years ago with the intention of using it as a rally bike. I wanted the right tool for the job, and the LT fit the bill. I rode her in several 10 and 32 hour duration rallies and was always impressed.

However, I wanted a bigger rally challenge and signed up for the six day Butt Lite 8 rally. I was concerned a 16 year old LT with 122,000 miles would be a liability, but the LT performed flawlessly! I attribute the LT's performance to the mechanical guidance and tools provided by forum members. I rode over 5,200 miles during the rally on some of America's most spectacular Pacific Northwest roads. I even had some gravel roads to contend with to bag a few bonuses. Some of the more memorable roads were to Fire Gorge, Hell's Canyon, Dee Wright Observatory, Yellowstone, Sun Valley to Stanley Idaho, Crater Lake, and western Montana. In total, 8,275 miles were ridden in 12 days and the LT did not complain once.

What an experience, what a great bike!

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I love to hear about the LT's that are running the way they were intended. My bucket list includes rides like the ones you are doing. Hope I am able to accomplish some.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I rode my LT to the top of the highest paved road in North America last month, 2 up. Mount Evans west of Denver. 14,270 feet. Switchbacks are real tight for such a looong bike, but she did just great. Interesting the coolant temp was high up there, ambient temp was 45 F.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's amazing! - well done!

I've not done anything as spectacular as that, but my new to me 2000 LT saw some action this past weekend.
A 1000 mile two day ride around the mountains of western WV.
First real ride on it and it performed fantastic!

It really is a great bike and you can find some stellar deals out there too!

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's amazing! - well done!

I've not done anything as spectacular as that, but my new to me 2000 LT saw some action this past weekend.
A 1000 mile two day ride around the mountains of western WV.
First real ride on it and it performed fantastic!

It really is a great bike and you can find some stellar deals out there too!
Glad you are enjoying it Andy! I was happy to see it go to an enthusiast.

What kind of MPG did you get on that 1000 mile ride? -John

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode my LT to the top of the highest paved road in North America last month, 2 up. Mount Evans west of Denver. 14,270 feet. Interesting the coolant temp was high up there, ambient temp was 45 F.
I also noticed my temperature gauge hovering above where it normally stays when in the upper elevations. I even got concerned on a couple occasions climbing over some of the higher passes, but the fans kicked on as advertised and the temperature gauge needle dropped.

My biggest surprise was the noticeable lack of performance at the higher elevations. I had to gear down on a few occasions to pass. I'm so used to riding at sea level that a performance degradation didn't even cross my mind until I thought about it after the fact.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The couple of times that I have ridden my '07 LT in Colorado, I didn't notice any particular change in performance (engine temperature or power going up and over Continental Divide mountain passes) and I live in SoCal's lower elevations. However, if the LTs were carbureted, that would be an entirely different story, as I rode my '74 Suzuki 750GT to the '80 Vetter Windjammer Ralley in Colorado Springs and remember having to use much more throttle going over higher altitude passes. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
The couple of times that I have ridden my '07 LT in Colorado, I didn't notice any particular change in performance (engine temperature or power going up and over Continental Divide mountain passes) and I live in SoCal's lower elevations. However, if the LTs were carbureted, that would be an entirely different story, as I rode my '74 Suzuki 750GT to the '80 Vetter Windjammer Ralley in Colorado Springs and remember having to use much more throttle going over higher altitude passes. :bmw:
The power loss occurs regardless of type of fuel delivery. Fuel injection systems generally have a wider range of compensation available, but the power loss is due to lower air density and turbo normalizing is the only way to overcome that.

We see this in spades in piston engine airplanes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it Andy! I was happy to see it go to an enthusiast.

What kind of MPG did you get on that 1000 mile ride? -John
Cheers John!
She's changed a bit... Lost some weight!
I'll get over there one night yet!

Was around 42 but I wasn't letting it snooze!
Pushed it hard around the twisties... The bike did great and kept up with my buddy on an 07 FJR!! :grin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
They always seem to be surprised to see that happen ;)
Yep!
As was I... For a heavy weight, she can certainly shake a tail feather!
I just need to get a Russell seat now, but it looks like it'll be a new purchase as they're impossible to find used!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Yep!
As was I... For a heavy weight, she can certainly shake a tail feather!
I just need to get a Russell seat now, but it looks like it'll be a new purchase as they're impossible to find used!
I just picked up a Mayer seat but haven't mounted it yet to see if it is an improvement over the stock. I am hoping it is as it wasn't " built for me" At the very least, it is heated so that in itself is an upgrade.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just picked up a Mayer seat but haven't mounted it yet to see if it is an improvement over the stock. I am hoping it is as it wasn't " built for me" At the very least, it is heated so that in itself is an upgrade.
Not impressed with the one on this LT.
I've had Corbin before on other bikes and I couldn't tell any difference between stock.
I've had Russell on other bikes and would swear by them... Expensive, but "Damn!" are they worth it!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Not impressed with the one on this LT.
I've had Corbin before on other bikes and I couldn't tell any difference between stock.
I've had Russell on other bikes and would swear by them... Expensive, but "Damn!" are they worth it!!
Well, even if it isn't any better, I have a spare so I can ship a pan off and have something better made to suit and not miss a beat. >:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, even if it isn't any better, I have a spare so I can ship a pan off and have something better made to suit and not miss a beat. >:)
Yep! I did the same... found a driver seat for $50 last month on Ebay and snapped it up... it'll be off to Russell in November - I believe they do a sale in the winter months anyway, so if I save a few schekles too, it'll be all good!
I'll sell the Mayer and it'll help to off-set the cost a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts