BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from my old Garmin GPSIII+ to a Street Pilot 2610.

The old GPS III+ is a nice small little unit but memory limited. I velco'd it to my LT radio sting ray, and transferred it to my airheads using velcro on my tankbag. Quick easy tranfer from bike to bike.

Now I am trying to brainstorm a way to do similar with the 2610. The 2610 is heavy enough that I don't really trust the velcro approach, and the bottom the the 2610 has a mounting attachment that doesn't lend itself to velcro on the bottom of the unit anyway.

Any suggestions on how to devise mounting system to allow a quick and easy way to move the 2610 from bike to bike?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You may consider using the RAM mount. Here are some examples:

On the handle (using the mirror mounting hole):

Here's one rider that switches from an F650GS to a K1200LT:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Very nice - can you tell us more about the ball/ram mount piece that goes on the LT? Who makes that piece? Where can we find it? Power on the mount too, that's cool. I was just thinking about how to move my 2610 to the LT - am currently using the SP III. And lusting after the 376c...

:)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Lots of interesting ways, but I among many, like the BMR shelf for adding accessories to the LT. Should be lots of info and pix on this product.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
danbrew said:
Very nice - can you tell us more about the ball/ram mount piece that goes on the LT? Who makes that piece? Where can we find it? Power on the mount too, that's cool. I was just thinking about how to move my 2610 to the LT - am currently using the SP III. And lusting after the 376c...

:)
The man made the mount (ball with power outlet) himself. I expect the ball to originate from RAM (RAM mounts).

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Um, if he's smart enough to make a ram mount that includes the cigarette lighter socket, wouldn't he be smart enough to just hard wire the power cord to the bike's 12V system?

That sorta seems like the guy who wanted to hook up a 120Vac inverter so he could run a couple of step-down DC power supplies. That's really finding a long, expensive way to solve a simple problem.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ken,

The man (K1200LT) and his wife (F650GS) own only one GPS which they both use. That's why they want to be able to switch the unit from bike to bike easily.

My guess is that creating these power outlets is cheaper than the Garmin cables for hard wiring...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wold love to know where to get the ball for the LT like he has and also to know whether it mounts under the plastic or if he drilled a hole into the top of the stingray. I don't need the power outlet.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
On the underside front of the stingray (below the BMW roundel) is a screw. That's what he probably hooked his mount to. It shouldn't be too hard to make a custom bracket to fit there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts