BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man who taught me to ride has reached the end of his watch. Don Hall was my father, and he had his own brand of BRC (Beginner Rider's Course), when he taught me to ride his '73 BMW, when I was 16 years old.

For weeks, I had to tool around his training course at the high school parking lot, while he drilled me on slow-speed manuevers, progressing to practicing panic stops, all the while pounding into my head countless safety tips. I pleaded that I was ready for the street - but I wasn't allowed until HE thought I was ready.

He preached ATTGAT before helmets were law, and because of him, I have walked away from two get-offs with only bruises.

Pop passed away at age 78 on Saturday, November 17th. It was unexpected, and I spent a couple of days crying like a three year old.

On Wednesday of last week, my mother was worried about all his email buddies sending messages to him, and getting no reply. She asked me to try to figure out how to get into his computer, and get a message to them all.

When I “hacked” my way in (Dad’s password wasn’t hard to guess, it was the pet name he used for my mom for 55 years!), I found a poem that my dad had left on his desktop for us to find. Although this won’t keep me from missing him for a long time to come, it did help me to come to terms with losing him. I’ll pass this along, because it may help you one day, should you lose someone you love:

When I come to the end of the day​
And the sun has set for me​
I want no rites in a gloom filled room​
Why cry for a soul set free?​
Miss me a little, but not too long​
And not with your head bowed low​
Remember the love we once shared​
Miss me, but let me go​
For this is a journey we all must make​
And each must go alone​
It’s all part of the Maker’s plan​
A step on the road to home​
When you are lonely and sick at heart​
Go to the friends we know​
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds​
Miss me, but let me go.​

Author Unknown​

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Speechless

Wow, I am touched, all I can say is your Pop's is riding his motorcycle and is having a great time up in the sky. One day we all will ride together. Thank you for sharing. My Dad is getting up there he just turned 74. Loved the poem.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
In May my dad celebrated his 80th birthday. I will never forget his thoughts for the day: "Who the hell would've thought I would live this long, Surely not me!"

Dad's are special people for sure! My Father-in-Law passed away 19 years ago, my main regret is he never saw what Men my boys turned out to be!

I am sorry for your loss. dont forget the good memories!!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
My condolences on your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Brian,
Sorry to hear about your dad. He sounds like he was a special one. The poem was a great. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Brian. It is great that you have fond memories and respect for him. He must have done a good job.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dad's a rare breed....they ask very little and give so much in return.
God Bless you and family.

GolfGuy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you for sharing a part of your father's great life. The sadness that grips us when we lose a loved one can no longer hold us when we celebrate the joy of their life. Just before my father passed away he told me not to remember the end. I hope the wonderful memories you had with your dad take over your thoughts and feelings.
In the mean time...Big Hugs...!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You had a great dad. What a gift.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Your dad is smiling down...no doubt proud of the way you honored and memorialized him here with your post. I've quite a warm feeling imagining the life you two shared and all the memories you'll carry on with you.

God's speed to your dad...and comfort to your family.

·
Registered
284 Posts
deepest condolences

parents are so hard to lose

my prayers are with you

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Brian;

Hope the New Year brings fond memories to ease the loss.

You were blessed to be the "sparkle" in his eye.

Wish every kid could be so lucky. "Pass it on".

Doug and Janet

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Brian
I lost my Dad Feb last year. That poem had Gretchen and myself in tears for my Dad again. I sent that along to my step sister. I'm sure that poem will touch many people. Thanks for sharing it.

Michael and Gretchen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts