BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any polycarbonate windshield makers other than BMW OEM or National Cycle? After 9 years, I am due for replacement. I am fairly satisfied with the performance of the stock shield, just not so happy with the price. I have not found any other aftermarket poly shields other than National.

Not trying to reignite the poly vs. acrylic debate as I am well aware of the pros and cons and choose poly. Just trying to ensure I evaluate all of the polycarbonate alternatives.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Search eBay. Some good windshields out there. Just bought a tall Ztechnik for my LT. The screen looks great but had to drill like 30 holes to stop cracks. It was time for a replacement.
Just check/ask if there are no cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
My '07 had a Ztechnic on when I bought it mid-'12 and I'd buy another one if I ever needed one. It still looks new after I've put over 27,000 miles on it and has maybe one small indentation on it from something that would have probably really done a job on an acrylic shield (not to re-start the pros/cons controversy about shield material). :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My '07 had a Ztechnic on when I bought it mid-'12 and I'd buy another one if I ever needed one. It still looks new after I've put over 27,000 miles on it and has maybe one small indentation on it from something that would have probably really done a job on an acrylic shield (not to re-start the pros/cons controversy about shield material). :bmw:
Sounds like Ztechnik may be the only poly alternative. I will likely give one a try.

I have no heartburn with anyone who, knowing the risk they assume with acrylic, chooses to buy one. I only jump in when I think someone has been mislead by the advertising.

I especially like the ads for "aircraft grade acrylic" and how it misleads the uninformed into thinking that is something great. As a pilot since 1989, I know how pathetic light airplane windshields are. A sparrow will come through them at any flying speed. They truly are only "wind" shields and little else. Well, they stop bugs also, but they absolutely are not designed to stop anything else.
🙂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts