BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How much will regular gas cost in the USA in Spring 2010?

• $3.00

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • $3.50

• $4.00

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • $4.50

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • $5.00

• $5.50

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • $6.00

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • $6.50

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • $7.00

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • $7.50

• $8.00

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • More than $8.00

Votes: 11 12.5%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at new vehicles for the past few months and am trying to decide what to do. I think it might be time to give up the comfort of the large vehicles I have been driving for the last 20 years due to the increasing cost of fuel. Gas is close to $4.00 right now but I'm mostly concerned that in two years it will be $6.00 or more.

Any predictions for regular gasoling in the Spring of 2010 in the USA?

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was just in Saudi Arabia and had the chance to be around some very high people in the government there. They are Hell Bent on taking the price of oil to $200 a barrell. I don't see that we can do much about it, unless we start drilling again in the US.

On a side note, I went looking for a new car and was supprised to see the posted MPG on the cars. The High was only 27mpg, and the sales person was all excited that it was so high. :wow: So, when did 27mpg become High? My old 96 Dodge Stratus got 43mpg on the highway. I even drove it from Shreveport Louisiana to Lubbock Texas on ONE tank of gas!!! :yeah:

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
It'll keep going up, and we'll keep paying, and there's nothing that you can really do about it. Sure some folks will drive less, some will get smaller or more efficient cars, some will even start making biodiesel in their homes. And some will even take up motorcycles, or move back into the cities and closer to work.

But in the end, capitalism fails when one small group completely controls the supply, distribution, and sales of any commodity product.

Your best bet is to sell that huge SUV while you still can and buy oil stock with the cash.

·
Registered
728 Posts
kevincook said:
I've been looking at new vehicles for the past few months and am trying to decide what to do. I think it might be time to give up the comfort of the large vehicles I have been driving for the last 20 years due to the increasing cost of fuel. Gas is close to $4.00 right now but I'm mostly concerned that in two years it will be $6.00 or more.

Any predictions for regular gasoling in the Spring of 2010 in the USA?

Kevin
Once Oil King George is out of office I think the price will stabilize around $3.00 a gallon.

http://www.whitehouse.org/initiatives/posters/stick-it-to-me.asp

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I see from the poll that as a group we have no idea what is going to happen :confused: .

I was hoping that you guys had a crystal ball. :rolleyes:

I just don't see how the US could ever reduce usage enough to compensate for the demand growth in China and India. The net result is increasing demand and prices. :(

The problem I have is that I don't think the fuel efficiency of any of the cars on the market is as good as it should be. I figure that if I am not going to be comfortable driving then the car better be at least getting 50mpg. Why would I want to be uncomfortable and get 28mpg.

I starting to think our best bet is going to be nuclear power and REALLY, REALLY good batteries. If we spent 100 billion a year developing batteries instead of protecting the middle east supply how good could the batteries be? I don't know, but I'm betting pretty good. We just blew 150 billion dollars on the stimulus checks and I doubt that is going to help much of anything.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Overheard at Wal*Mart...

Two women were discussing the price of gas. Both were LOUD and supporters of Obama. One said to the other, "As soon as Obama is president, I'm going to buy a Hummer. Not the big Hummer. The middle one. Obama will bring the gas prices down and I'll be able to buy all the gas I want."

"You're right about that", said the other one.

That was all I could stand, but before I shot my big mouth off, I walked away. Just goes to show you, people are not only gullable, they're stupid too! An Obama presidency would be an "Obamanation"! He'll paint the White House, yellow!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lee510 said:
Overheard at Wal*Mart...

Two women were discussing the price of gas. Both were LOUD and supporters of Obama. One said to the other, "As soon as Obama is president, I'm going to buy a Hummer. Not the big Hummer. The middle one. Obama will bring the gas prices down and I'll be able to buy all the gas I want."

"You're right about that", said the other one.

That was all I could stand, but before I shot my big mouth off, I walked away. Just goes to show you, people are not only gullable, they're stupid too! An Obama presidency would be an "Obamanation"! He'll paint the White House, yellow!
They could be on to something. Eight years of Clinton meant eight years of low oil prices and a roaring economy. Oil King George takes the throne and the oil companies move into the Whitehouse. Coincidence--- maybe , but it sure is suspecious.

As far as Obama goes he is the best Republican the Wobblycrats could put forward. Oh! and he may be an oil man too, after all he is related to Cheney.

Sure miss those "cheap gas, " Clinton years though. I did not even think twiceabout the price of filling the motor home every day all week long. What a great time it was :dance: .

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oisin said:
They could be on to something. Eight years of Clinton meant eight years of low oil prices and a roaring economy. Oil King George takes the throne and the oil companies move into the Whitehouse. Coincidence--- maybe , but it sure is suspecious.

As far as Obama goes he is the best Republican the Wobblycrats could put forward. Oh! and he may be an oil man too, after all he is related to Cheney.

Sure miss those "cheap gas, " Clinton years though. I did not even think twiceabout the price of filling the motor home every day all week long. What a great time it was :dance: .

You are on the bright side :)
The other side can neither count nor can they analyze or even remember , the numbers is so openly clear that it is like night and day.

You are right on your comments. It is like the republican presidents http://www.juliantrubin.com/imagesb/bushorchimp.jpg have a contest about who can spend the most and leave the most debt and disray to the next democrat president. :p

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What we are not discussing here are the taxes that countries add on to the price of the refined oil.

If they were REALLY worried about the effect high fuel prices had on the economy, they could always drop them and charge the taxpayer in other ways.

Until they do, or guestimate that the public is still willing to pay more money to get from A to B, you can bet that the oil producing contries will come to the same conclusion as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
paalao said:
You are on the bright side :)
The other side can neither count nor can they analyze or even remember , the numbers is so openly clear that it is like night and day.

You are right on your comments. It is like the republican presidents http://www.juliantrubin.com/imagesb/bushorchimp.jpg have a contest about who can spend the most and leave the most debt and disray to the next democrat president. :p
I agree, but can we add death as well as "debt?" :(

However, I do not think a Wobblycrat president will ,make any difference at this point, as there is not an ounce of difference in the ideologies of any of the elites looking to occupy the throne in the Washington D.C.

I guess one has to be on the outside looking in, otherwise the general citizenry just become obedient, disciplined and passive. In this model the citizenry are so co-opted into the system that they cannot speak out. In essence, they become sheep willing unquestionably follow the shepard anywhere.

·
Registered
995 Posts
As far as I know, Obama was a Muslim who converted to Christianity. If that is true, how do you suppose the Muslim world will treat him? Not only will they see him as an infadel, but a traitor to the believers and Alah.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we obviously can't come to much of a concensus about the future price of gasoline but it looks like $5.50/gallon is getting the most votes so far.

Boy is that going to hurt. :eek:

These prices are definitely going to hurt rural America the most. Any place where people have to drive for their job and their is no mass transit system.

Kevin

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
MOSLEYDS said:
Not only will they see him as an infadel, but a traitor to the believers and Alah.
You mean the same way they see most non-Muslims now? Personally, I have a lot of respect for someone who has actually lived outside the US and understands that the rest of the world is never gonna think the same way that we do, and who's primary foreign policy isn't bombing them into submission. That has never worked and it never will, no matter how much cash and how many lives we waste trying to prove it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
meese said:
You mean the same way they see most non-Muslims now? Personally, I have a lot of respect for someone who has actually lived outside the US and understands that the rest of the world is never gonna think the same way that we do, and who's primary foreign policy isn't bombing them into submission. That has never worked and it never will, no matter how much cash and how many lives we waste trying to prove it.
:thumb: :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
kevincook said:
Well, I see from the poll that as a group we have no idea what is going to happen :confused: .
I was hoping that you guys had a crystal ball. :rolleyes:

The problem I have is that I don't think the fuel efficiency of any of the cars on the market is as good as it should be. I figure that if I am not going to be comfortable driving then the car better be at least getting 50mpg. Why would I want to be uncomfortable and get 28mpg.
Kevin
Kevin,
If we a crystal ball we would'n be wasting or time here!
FWIW current crude is trading around $125 (steady for the day), two years out is $124 (up over $3 for the day), you can buy a Dec. 2016 contract at $125.17 (steady).

What does this mean? Squat! I voted $3.50!

Several months ago in Phoenix Mr. Hertz loaned me a Toyota Pre-ass. Actually it was a great little car. Plenty of headroom (I'm 6'3''), very comfortable with room for four. This thing was a cross between a auto, golf cart, and laptop!
I drove it like I stole it! 51 mpg, really shines in traffic jams. Disclaimer: I have no stock in Toyota nor do I plan to purchase one. Just the unbiased facts. Side bar: Jury still out on increased pollution due to mining the nickel that goes into it's batteries.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looks like gas will go up sharply this week. $5.00 a gallon by 1 July.
It may drop back down to $4.00 in the Fall. By then, the oil companies will have the people convinced that $4.00 is a bargain. remember the good old days when gas was only $3.00 a gallon?

·
Registered
728 Posts
MOSLEYDS said:
Looks like gas will go up sharply this week. $5.00 a gallon by 1 July.
It may drop back down to $4.00 in the Fall. By then, the oil companies will have the people convinced that $4.00 is a bargain. remember the good old days when gas was only $3.00 a gallon?

I doubt we will see $5.00 this year. I'm hoping it will start dropping after Memorial day and be back between 2.50 and 3.00 by the fall; just in time for the election.
Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I have a hard time believing the oil companies are being allowed to run the show.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts