BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this video about a guy who made a secondary, courtesy horn for his car and I am thinking about making it for my bike. I love the horn on the KLT and it is the best I have ever heard on a motorcycle however, it is very intense. There are situations, as shown in the video, where a quieter and more pleasant horn would be more appropriate. I have been struggling with where to put the PA horn and then I realized that I can probably "repurpose" the alarm speaker to do the job. What do you think?

https://www.cnet.com/news/car-horn-nice-polite-mark-rober-youtube-video/

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally I've been more focused on LOUD horns, but that was interesting . . . he makes out a pretty good case for such a devise.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Just be aware the alarm speaker is not accessible, it is a potted unit. I want the big horn!

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Just be aware the alarm speaker is not accessible, it is a potted unit. I want the big horn!
I have no problem using a loud horn for someone who is holding up traffic at a red light while texting. No qualms at all. >:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I've been more focused on LOUD horns, but that was interesting . . . he makes out a pretty good case for such a devise.
I completely agree. One of the first upgrades on a bike is put in a louder horn. This is the first bike that I have owned that has an acceptable horn to me when I got it. I am not sure if it's stock or not but it sounds like a Mack truck. If I only had one horn, it would be a loud one. I can certainly see situations where you want to get someone's attention but don't want to blast them with the loud horn, especially if you are thanking someone for letting you merge in or something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no problem using a loud horn for someone who is holding up traffic at a red light while texting. No qualms at all. >:)
I'll gladly blast the loud horn any anyone texting!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by a potted unit? Isn't the alarm speaker just to the rear of "soon to be removed canister?"

Reactions: Ricky Chuck
1 - 7 of 7 Posts