BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install some lights (thank you but I don't want a discussion re other places to mount lights) over the mirrors using the police brackets on the RTP models. My preference would be to mount them under the mirrors but I do not believe that will work with the police model brackets.

Has anyone else here on the forum done this and if so would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Lopaca said:
I would like to install some lights (thank you but I don't want a discussion re other places to mount lights) over the mirrors using the police brackets on the RTP models. My preference would be to mount them under the mirrors but I do not believe that will work with the police model brackets.

Has anyone else here on the forum done this and if so would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Bob. Just a cautionary note. You might check with your area's DMV as to mounting additional lights to your ride where you mention. In 'some' locales, the mounting of additional lighting 'above' the location of the OEM headlight fixture is allowed only for 'off-road' use. I have no clue about CA's rulings.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Excuse me for pointing out the obvious [I'm in my John Madden mode] but isn't where you prefer to mount them and where you're asking about mounting them mutually exclusive?

Above the mirrors illegal in CA.

Under the mirrors is legal. Hit the link.

BMR Products Under Mirror Mounts

I have prototype above mirror light mounts from WARN Industries and the BMR mounts under the mirrors. Both work great for my needs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a mount for driving lights mounted on the forks, something that will turn with the forks? Lights mounted low to the road. I find the stock lights are pretty good, but more would be better.

Mick

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
steveaikens said:
Above the mirrors illegal in CA.
Do you have a code for this?

I think CA only restricts driving light placement by height above ground. The RTP pursuit light location is lower than many jacked-up pickup trucks' lights.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Lopaca said:
I would like to install some lights (thank you but I don't want a discussion re other places to mount lights) over the mirrors using the police brackets on the RTP models.
I'm assuming that you have an 1150 RT-P, former CHP (most RTPs in California come from the Jon and Ponch Riding Club).

The real problem is that if you're putting on standard halogen lights, they draw more current than the switch is designed to handle.

If you don't already have it, you want to get the Police Supplement Manual (www.bmwmc.net -- but the site is crippled and only works with IE). While you're on the site, poke around and grab all of the other manuals that might be of value to you.

BTW, if you don't know yet, the switch for the cop lights is powered from the auxiliary batter, through the police fuse block, via one of the extra cables (which they probably cut to take off the rear lights). The CHP Wiring Diagram will show you this.

The switch with the bubble light drawing cuts off rear lights -- thus, you have the option of running rear only, front only or all lights, whatever you like.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Solo6 said:
If you don't already have it, you want to get the Police Supplement Manual (www.bmwmc.net -- but the site is crippled and only works with IE). While you're on the site, poke around and grab all of the other manuals that might be of value to you.
It works with Firefox 3.6.13 on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Solo6 thanks for posting that site. I was looking for a wiring diagram. Too bad it's in german.

You might have had problems with the site if you had pop-ups blocked.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ponch said:
It works with Firefox 3.6.13 on Mac OS X 10.6.6.
Cool. I use FF on both Windoze and Linux, and it takes me to the Dealerspeed login page with each one.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dick said:
Hi, Bob. Just a cautionary note. You might check with your area's DMV as to mounting additional lights to your ride where you mention. In 'some' locales, the mounting of additional lighting 'above' the location of the OEM headlight fixture is allowed only for 'off-road' use. I have no clue about CA's rulings.
Good point, Dick. I hadn't given that any thought. I will check into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's the word from the California Vehicle Code:

===
V C Section 24402 Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps
Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.
===

I'm not where my motor is, so I can't measure it for you, but note that it doesn't reference headlight position at all.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solo6 said:
Here's the word from the California Vehicle Code:

===
V C Section 24402 Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps
Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.
===

I'm not where my motor is, so I can't measure it for you, but note that it doesn't reference headlight position at all.
Thanks for the doing the research on this. Now, I have to go measure to see if they would end up more than 42 inches off the ground if mounted on top of the mirrors.

The more I have researched it though, the more I would prefer to have them below the mirrors (more of a rally look) but the after market mounts that I have seen so far won't accommodate the larger 4" piaa type lights. I must say though, that I do like the Touratech models - maybe when I win the lottery!

The search continues.

Thanks again for all the responses! :bmw:

·
Registered
747 Posts
The BMR mount for the RT holds the Hella FF50 with plenty of room to spare (what I use) and should hold the round ones as well. Worst case is you might have to slot or redrill a mount hole. In fact, I've mulled putting 5" HIDs on mine but not measured up to do it because the Hellas running Osram 65W rally bulbs do everything I need from them.

(I also run the Osram bulbs in the 3 stock positions and have a pair of TrailTech 30W HIDs on EzyMounts under the oil cooler but I do not recommend TT's to anyone- way too many design and manufacturing faults)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Lopaca said:
Thanks for the doing the research on this. Now, I have to go measure to see if they would end up more than 42 inches off the ground if mounted on top of the mirrors.
The mirrors are 44 inches to the center of the mirror.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe that the Touratech lights are the hella DE HID lights which is what I mounted under my mirrors with the BMR mounts, works great. Do some web searching and the Hellas can be had for a decent price, cheaper than the Touratechs.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
steveaikens said:
The mirrors are 44 inches to the center of the mirror.
This would put the brackets too high for aux lighting, but if you go with amber, you can claim them as warning lights.

Thankfully, my own lights are exempt from the regs. ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Solo6 said:
This would put the brackets too high for aux lighting, but if you go with amber, you can claim them as warning lights.

Thankfully, my own lights are exempt from the regs. ;)
Yep, too high to meet CA standards.

Mine are exempt from the CA standard because I live in NM. :)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I mounted mine on the brackets on the crash bars that held the speaker and ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts