BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all:

Never being satisfied, I recently got a good second-hand open trailer that I was planning to spiff up and use to trailer MeinByk to CCR this year. My folks are coming too, so it would be impractical to ride and drive. Anyhow, I got a Geza cover (thanks to Terry Poth) and thought I was good to go. Then I saw this http://www.customcyclecarrier.com/products/pod.htm . I think it's a cool carrier, especially when painted to match the towing vehicle, although expensive at $3695. Has anyone used or bought one of these and do the antennae on the back of the bike need to be removed in order to close it? Thoughts or opinions welcome.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Initially I said, wow that's expensive. Then I thought about all the people on this forum that have that much money into a trailer, 25% the size, to pull behind their bike.

You might look at having a custom box built for your trailer. Another option is a fairing that mounts to the front of a trailer. I have seen a couple of these built for motorcycles, but I have never found a brand name. Saw another motorcycle trailer where the fellow had used a wrecked semi truck fairing on a regular trailer. Only thing open was the back.

Just some ideas.

Rick

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Chariot and LT Package

neodoc said:
I think it's a cool carrier, especially when painted to match the towing vehicle, although expensive at $3695. Has anyone used or bought one of these and do the antennae on the back of the bike need to be removed in order to close it? Thoughts or opinions welcome.
Doc, I looked at various closed trailers, wanting the lightest, least aero drag, and being practical for hauling furniture, lawn equipment, etc. I have about 5000 miles on a Chariot which has a base price in the $3000 range. The factory is just up the pike from you in Bartow FL. I stayed with "white" which is the standard color. It is actually cool inside on sunny days. See www.chariot-trailer.com go to cycleshuttle 10-6. I do have to remove the radio antenna, a simple task.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
rjwittig said:
I thought only Harley guys used trailors.
He explains that in his opening remarks. :)

I'll find myself in that position also, as I can't see going on a family vacation on the LT with/without my wife, and the rest of the family in the car... just doesn't make sense, no matter how much I want to ride to the vacation destination. I'm looking for a VERY lightweight trailer to haul the LT behind either of my small cars. I may even have to trailer the LT to BMWMOA '06 in Vermont or to CCR. I'm sure there will be plenty of Harley-esque guffaws if I were to pull into Chateau Elan with the LT on a trailer. :(

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hschisler said:
He explains that in his opening remarks. :)

I'll find myself in that position also, as I can't see going on a family vacation on the LT with/without my wife, and the rest of the family in the car... just doesn't make sense, no matter how much I want to ride to the vacation destination. I'm looking for a VERY lightweight trailer to haul the LT behind either of my small cars. I may even have to trailer the LT to BMWMOA '06 in Vermont or to CCR. I'm sure there will be plenty of Harley-esque guffaws if I were to pull into Chateau Elan with the LT on a trailer. :(
Betcha not!! There's alwayz several trailers at CCR events. Heck, even Chairskin Randy trailered in to Gatlinburg - biggest dayam trailer I ever saw!! Had three (maybe 4) scoots in it. Nobody guffawed.

BTW - it is fortunate that we do have some incoming trailers at CCR. Several times, they've been put to use to rescue someone heading in with a roadside problem (read rear drive bearing!). If that happens this year, I would hope folks with trailers would volunteer to pull rescue duty!!

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Dick said:
Betcha not!! There's alwayz several trailers at CCR events. Heck, even Chairskin Randy trailered in to Gatlinburg - biggest dayam trailer I ever saw!! Had three (maybe 4) scoots in it. Nobody guffawed.

BTW - it is fortunate that we do have some incoming trailers at CCR. Several times, they've been put to use to rescue someone heading in with a roadside problem (read rear drive bearing!). If that happens this year, I would hope folks with trailers would volunteer to pull rescue duty!!
Alrighty then! If I can make it work (and it's still unlikely) I won't feel so bad about bringing my beautiful LT on my POS trailer.

Thanks for the reassurance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have one of these http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/ and love it. I have the two bike trailer. Im thinking about using it as a camping trailer as well as soon as I can find a tent that will fit the rear end. Give them a shout.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts