BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm doing my valves, I thought I might change the spark plug wires also which show some wear in spots. Three of the wires are wrapped in an orange tape. Is this something the factory does or one of the previous owners? Does anyone know why they would be wrapped? I've included a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That is not factory work. Must have been done by the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
This is definitely PO work, and it makes me wonder if the wires are somewhat damaged and taped up... I know I would be curious to see what is under the wrap...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zippy_gg said:
This is definitely PO work, and it makes me wonder if the wires are somewhat damaged and taped up... I know I would be curious to see what is under the wrap...
Well, I guess it will remain a mystery. I unwrapped them and there was no damage or dead bodies or anything.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
acs5166 said:
Well, I guess it will remain a mystery. I unwrapped them and there was no damage or dead bodies or anything.

Now...just pray that it doesn't start misfiring the next time it rains really hard and the engine gets wet. :histerica

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
It may be grounding shield wire to reduce electrical static noise in the radio. At the suggestion of a radio tech I did that years ago on a /5 using shielded wire that expanded when pushing the ends together so you could insert the plug wires. It worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts