BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lots of cans of Plexus, a couple or more in the garage, one on each bike.
When I visit my local, old home BMW shop and have a free cup of coffee and don't buy anything else, I pick up another can of Plexus. :histerica
Good product, but kinda 'spensive. I'd do better paying Starbuck's rates for the coffee.

I remember posts years ago suggesting that Lemon Pledge furniture polish was good for cleaning the windshield, etc.

Recently during a trip to the hardware store I found myself looking at Lemon Pledge so I brought home a can.

Lemon Pledge doesn't seem to disolve bug guts quite as fast as Plexus, but so far seems to do the job at a quarter of the price of Plexus.

Anyone been using Lemon Pledge for a while and noticed any adverse effects on the windshield or body parts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
81 Posts
curtis
i use a product called sprayway glass cleaner. does a good job cleaning and does not hurt the w/s as it does not contain ammonia. i've been led to believe that is bad for plastics. you can get it at auto parts stores. i get mine at sanels auto parts in burlington.
john

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Curtis;
Keeping this, of course, in house; I've been using the pledge since I got this bike.........the original windshield was less than pristine at the time of purchase.....was showing some de-lamination of the outer film of the Polycarbonate ....the Pledge seems to do OK and I haven't really noticed any 'milky' degradation that has been noted in some of the other threads...............$ 00.02.......and FWIW............

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use Plexus on the windshield and Pledge on the rest of the plastic.
Confession: Last weekend I had to use the Lavender scent because I was all out of Lemon. My wife liked it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I used Lemon Pledge on the windshield of my C-172 for over 30 years. Never any hint of a problem. I still use it on the RT and the LT.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Looking at the material safety data sheets:

Pledge
Deionized Water 60% to 100%
Alkanes, C7-10-iso- 5% to 10% (some form of paraffin, but probably acts as a solvent as well)
Dimethicone 5% to 10% (some form of silicone)
Butane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Propane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Isobutane 1% to 5% (propellant?)

Plexus
Alipathic Petroleum Distillates 23% (some form of petroleum based solvent)
Propane 3% (propellant?)
Isobutane 12% (propellant?)

Didn't learn too much (except the numbers don't add up to 100%), but nothing too apparent that might hurt polycarbonates, Pledge looks pretty mild.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
.... just water and a clean microfiber towel on the windshield.. Let the water soak for a few minutes and wipe off. Still looks new and doesn't cost too much.

·
Registered
676 Posts
niel_petersen said:
I used Lemon Pledge on the windshield of my C-172 for over 30 years. Never any hint of a problem. I still use it on the RT and the LT.
+1 on the pledge

·
Registered
628 Posts
I buy my "pledge" at the dollar store.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used both Plexus and Pledge on my 99 K1200LT, but before I sold it I stop using Pledge because I thought Plexus was better on the windshield and I only wanted to carry around one product. I have a 2006 K1200LT now and I love using Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray. I use it on all parts of the bike, even the wheels but not the tires. It will also work well on taking off the bugs. I have Zaino wax on my car but not on my bike and it still works well on my bike.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Pledge... Works great, and saves money.

·
Registered
453 Posts
DanDiver said:
.... just water and a clean microfiber towel on the windshield.. Let the water soak for a few minutes and wipe off. Still looks new and doesn't cost too much.
I agree. If shield is real smutz, I soak an old tee shirt in warm water and let the dripping tee rest on the shield for 10 minutes or so, then a microfiber towel or blue shop towel.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I agree. If shield is real smutz, I soak an old tee shirt in warm water and let the dripping tee rest on the shield for 10 minutes or so, then a microfiber towel or blue shop towel.
I keep the corner of an old contour sheet in the garage and hang it on the windshield, wet for about 10 minutes or so after a ride and easily wipe off all the love bugs and grime. Dry with a microfiber. Still got the original windshield and it looks new. Easy and cheep...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I have lots of cans of Plexus, a couple or more in the garage, one on each bike.
When I visit my local, old home BMW shop and have a free cup of coffee and don't buy anything else, I pick up another can of Plexus. :histerica
Good product, but kinda 'spensive. I'd do better paying Starbuck's rates for the coffee.

I remember posts years ago suggesting that Lemon Pledge furniture polish was good for cleaning the windshield, etc.

Recently during a trip to the hardware store I found myself looking at Lemon Pledge so I brought home a can.

Lemon Pledge doesn't seem to disolve bug guts quite as fast as Plexus, but so far seems to do the job at a quarter of the price of Plexus.

Anyone been using Lemon Pledge for a while and noticed any adverse effects on the windshield or body parts?

Thanks,
Plexus is ridiculously priced at the dealer. You can find it on the web much much cheaper. I think it works great for the entire bike as well as the windshield.

Last time I bought 6 13 Oz. cans for $76.58 including freight.
That is $12.76 per 13 Oz. Can. The dealer was selling 7 Oz for $14.24 Inc. Sales Tax. ($13.00)
www.PowerSportSuperstore,com price is now $13.99 for 13 Ozs. I think that is still the cheapest I could find on the web.

I still have not used 6 cans in nearly 1.5 years.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CharlieVT said:

Thanks,
I used to use Pledge on my sailplane, wings, empanage, tail . Made it nice and slippery don't know if it helped me or not.

Garry

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
garry_kramer said:
I used to use Pledge on my sailplane, wings, empanage, tail . Made it nice and slippery don't know if it helped me or not.

Garry
Not only will it improve your glide ratio, but will help you core those thermals as well. :histerica

I've used Pledge on everything imaginable so far with only one bad result. I have Nolan helmets with a fog shield which snaps inside the main visor. Pledge changed the fog shield, gave it a funny textured surface and ruined the optical clarity. Oops!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Not only will it improve your glide ratio, but will help you core those thermals as well. :histerica
I only landed out once in a competition otherwise I always made it to my destination.

Garry

·
Registered
103 Posts
++1 on Pledge.
Been using pledge on all my bikes, aircraft and other stuff for 25+ years. never been an issue and cleans up nice with a shine. The lemony scent is nice too.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Lemon Pledge smells like .........lemons. Lavender Pledge? I think I need to change fragrances on my next purchase! Lavender Pledge would better complement my purple bike!

Been using pledge forever.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
jrh2020 said:
Looking at the material safety data sheets:

Pledge
Deionized Water 60% to 100%
Alkanes, C7-10-iso- 5% to 10% (some form of paraffin, but probably acts as a solvent as well)
Dimethicone 5% to 10% (some form of silicone)
Butane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Propane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Isobutane 1% to 5% (propellant?)

Plexus
Alipathic Petroleum Distillates 23% (some form of petroleum based solvent)
Propane 3% (propellant?)
Isobutane 12% (propellant?)

Didn't learn too much (except the numbers don't add up to 100%), but nothing too apparent that might hurt polycarbonates, Pledge looks pretty mild.
It never ceases to amaze me about the information we get on this forum. We sure have the full range of knowledge and expertise. Thanks so much.

I still have a half full can of Plexus, but having read this thread, I am going to steal a can of the wife's Pledge and give it a go. She will probably never miss it :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts