BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, :wave

Good to be among friends.My first post (ever)......it wasn't so hard after all.

Does anyone have any idea what system is this guy using on his RT (follow link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2eauSU2lg

Absolutely brilliant system, I learned to drive in Paris and now live in Vancouver Canada, and like some of you have who are living in a large busy city, we do our best to be seen or heard.
Sometimes, I admit, I still drive in between lanes, but before I get chastised by some of
you, I swear, I only do it when the traffic is jammed.
Therefore as you guessed, I would do anything to make drivers see me coming in they rear view mirrors.

Thanks in advance to all of you
Christophe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Don't look like motolights to me. Motolights are round and these look like little rectangular lamps of some type.

However, Motolights work well. Mostly you pay for the housings on them- the bulbs are cheap indoor types not designed for motorcycle use.

You could buy a pair of EzyMounts for the PIAA 1100s that go under the oil cooler, also.

An inexpensive choice are the Photon Blasters (amber led sets).

And there is stuff from Martin Fabrication.

A newer alternative that is great for conspicuity but doesn't put much light down the road are the Denal LEDs from Twisted Throttle. Light weight with a well made harness and should have excellent durability if the housings are truly watertight.

For conspicuity, what you don't want is anything with a deep projector lens setup. These typically aren't very visible from an offset angle. Reflectors or shallow LED lenses are better for conspicuity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
ChefOnBike68 said:
Hello everyone, :wave

Good to be among friends.My first post (ever)......it wasn't so hard after all.

Does anyone have any idea what system is this guy using on his RT (follow link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy2eauSU2lg

Absolutely brilliant system, I learned to drive in Paris and now live in Vancouver Canada, and like some of you have who are living in a large busy city, we do our best to be seen or heard.
Sometimes, I admit, I still drive in between lanes, but before I get chastised by some of
you, I swear, I only do it when the traffic is jammed.
Therefore as you guessed, I would do anything to make drivers see me coming in they rear view mirrors.

Thanks in advance to all of you
Christophe
I dont know what system he is using to make the light behave the way they are doing on the video, but the lights are available here

http://wunderlich.de/frame.php?MakeLang=wunderlich&MakeLangID=1&lay1=3&lay2=22&lay3=7&lay4=9&prodid=8500220
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,710 Posts
Civil disobedience, I like it and support it. I wish more people would participate here in Washington State.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Someone from north of the border will need to weigh in but that system would get you ticketed in the U.S. Down here the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards only allow a headlight modulator on the front. Anything else added that flashes is illegal. Brake lamp flashers are allowed but must time out and go to solid red after a few seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
First, welcome to the forum. Someone from north of the border will need to weigh in but that system would get you ticketed in the U.S. Down here the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards only allow a headlight modulator on the front. Anything else added that flashes is illegal. Brake lamp flashers are allowed but must time out and go to solid red after a few seconds.
And even the modulator is strictly controlled so that it can not work except in daylight, and it cannot "flash" the headlight fully on/off. It can only dim the light between 100% and some lower level (20%?). It cannot fully turn the light off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you educate me as to what is the function of a modulator and where one would buy it ?
Thanks for your help.
safe ride to all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
ChefOnBike68 said:
Can you educate me as to what is the function of a modulator and where one would buy it ?
Thanks for your help.
safe ride to all
Kisan is one of the best known, and they have several other products you may be interested in. Look under Path Blazer for the headlight modulators.
https://www.kisantech.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
The lamps do appear to be the ones the call "micro flooters" (??) in an odd English translation. Never seen them live- only on the web and any similar light could be substituted (eg those PIAAs on EzyMounts or anyplace else you want to put them like on the forks.

They're 110W of halogen light so you need a modulator with that type of power handling capability. You could wire a legal setup with one modulator for both lamps. Kisan is one source but there are others. The photosensor to turn it off at might is easily located in any of several locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Personally, I'd get run over before I'd use a setup like that. Obnoxious. If I were driving a car and he was behind me I'd not like it one bit.

I want to be seen , but not like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Also no fan of modulators but it is possible to do. At least as accessory lights, they could be totally off when not in use.

Got 330 W of halogens (5, 65W H-7 rally bulbs) and 60W of HIDs on the front plus a set of Photon Blasters. Its "enough" without a modulator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
In my humble opinion ...

1offmotorsports HID kit for my RT ... and Motolites with the LED bulbs. Amazing light to ride with after dark and amazing conspicuity during the day ... and all the while using less watts than the stock H7 headlamps.

Stan
Lake Tahoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
http://www.strobesnmore.com/whelen-tir3-super-leds.html
I have these on all 3 bikes, brighter than any other hands down, might even be too bright.
On my RT I added a honda spring pull brake light switch (20 bucks) behind the plastic on the rear brake pedal, and fused it off my relay fuse block. Normally I am using the front brake lever, when someone gets to close I just tap the rear, Always funny to see how far back the cages stay... installation about 1.5 and total cost 70 bucks
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top