BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a K1200Lt of 2003.It goes fine for couple of hundred km, then it suddenly starts to misfire. If you put it in neutral, the engine runs fine. the moment you engage the gear, it starts to misfire again. If you leave it for half hour or longer, every thing is fine for sometimes short distance and sometimes for hundreds of kilos on same trip. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
g'day mate it could be anything but its either spark or fuel, you need to give a lot more information, any service history? when were the plugs and fuel filter changed last? that's where you need to start.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Could very well be the charcoal canister if it hasn't been removed. The fuel tank vents through that devise and if it becomes blocked for any reason the tank has no way to allow air in as the fuel level drops. Therefore a vacuum forms and the engine is starved for fuel. The variation in how far you can ride will depend on how full the tank is when you start. Full tank, problem occurs quickly. If you open the fuel cap after the problem occurs and you hear air rush in then this is you problem. Do a search for CANISTERECTOMY

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Since you are in SA I suspect you do not have a charcoal canister. I would also check you spark plug wires for rubbing. Maybe even pull the cover and fire it up in dark place and look for flashes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you think is tehe engine running fine and one can rev it, but the moment you engage the gear it starts to misfire?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you think is the engine running fine and one can rev it, but the moment you engage the gear it starts to misfire?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Does it misfire as soon as you put it in gear sitting at idle with the clutch in or do you have to start to move under power before it misfires?

I think jzeller has a good suggestion. It takes a higher voltage to get the spark across the plug gap under pressure and as you roll on the throttle, the compression increases forcing a higher spark voltage. That higher voltage may be arcing to ground from bad plug wires that are still able to hold the spark at idle.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Is the solution to replace spark plug wires?
If they are actually bad, yes. Missing due to the original wires breaking down is a known issue that some have experienced. There is a resistor built into the head of the wire so just going and getting new wires at Autozone is not acceptable.

Euro Motoelectric has a set for $59 plus shipping. I just put this set on my LT last week. New original are very expensive.

EnDuraLast - BMW K1200 Ignition Cable

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'd check for swirling gas in the tank. Hose might have a slit in it reducing fuel pressure making engine misfire.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Reactions: Axle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts