BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pickup my 2006 k1200lt today. the owner put the fob in the oddments box so not to lose it. Some how everything is locked , I cant open the oddments box to get the fob to unlock the bags or start the bike. What can i do? Please any help?

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Well for starters do you have a KEY!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have the key. But tried to unlock trunk and bags and no go. tried unlocking the oddments box turned key left ,right it is locked.

·
Registered
308 Posts
after the turn you are pushing the button right?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sometimes the oddments box latch is a bit stiff - I often kind of "tap" it with my fingers and in opens. However if it is actually locked and you can't unlock with the key, try turning the key only halfway and see if it unlocks there (I know the side cases work that way to ensure you can get in if the central locking mechanism was used to lock it).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just pickup my 2006 k1200lt today. the owner put the fob in the oddments box so not to lose it. Some how everything is locked , I cant open the oddments box to get the fob to unlock the bags or start the bike. What can i do? Please any help?
It sounds like someone used the fob to lock the compartments then threw the fob into the glove box. Bad news is the key will unlock all the compartments on the bike except the one you can not open. Good news is there is a process the bmw shop can use to get it unlocked. Bad news $75. Ask me how I know. Now if you don't care about having the fob lock the glove box, take a rag, fold it over a few times, put it over the latch and tap it with a hammer. a sharp blow will break the fob locking mechanism and you can get it open. You can still use the key to lock and unlock. If you didn't use the fob to lock it, hold pressure on the back of the key slot as you push down.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Forgot to tell you the seat can be pried past the latch to get to the wiring and battery. (wont damage seat or latch) You might have to have your bmw shop send you the electrical process to by pass the fob.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How did you pick up the bike if you can't start it?

·
Registered
787 Posts
If he has a key I assume it will still start and run as long as he does not have the security system or does that come std. on all late model bikes?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't know but I'd first start the bike up, put it on the center stand and let it run and then try all of the above to see if they will unlock.

Hope you have some luck. The 'Secret Code' comes with the manuals and is in a small manilla envelope and sealed. With mine there is a folded white piece of paper in there with instructions to call BMW for the trick to get things straight again.

I keep both of my fobs out of the oddments box. One it hidden on the bike and the other stays with me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When you get the key fob out I would reprogram it so the bike will start without having to push the fob.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I don't know but I'd first start the bike up, put it on the center stand and let it run and then try all of the above to see if they will unlock.

Hope you have some luck. The 'Secret Code' comes with the manuals and is in a small manilla envelope and sealed. With mine there is a folded white piece of paper in there with instructions to call BMW for the trick to get things straight again.

I keep both of my fobs out of the oddments box. One it hidden on the bike and the other stays with me.
Where do you hide it? :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
The process to unlock it requires you open the top case and remove the liner. Then remove the four mounting bolts. Pull the pillion seat and undo the two barrel connectors and one two pin connector and remove the top case. Then pull the panel under the top case and you will then see the alarm. To the left of the alarm is a 12 pin connector. Pin one (brown wire) and pin 12 (red/white wire) are the leads to the lock actuator. Disconnect the connector and momentarily apply 12 v to pin one and ground pin 12. You will hear the lock cycle. If that does not unlock it then reverse and apply 12 v to pin 12 and ground to pin 1. That should unlock the oddiments box.

But before you do that smack the lock with the palm of your hand (make sure the key slot is horizontal) a few time as mine has stuck on a few occasions.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First I would like to thank NewGuy, the hit the lock trick worked great. It didn't even break anything. I just gave it a little pop and it flew open. Rowie your idea worked great to and allowed me to get my stuff out before i poped the lid. Jeiler thanks for your information that was next if plan "A" didn't work. I would like to thank all of you who replyed and tried to help. And yes I will reprogram the Fob next. This is why the forum is great.:dance:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts