BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have had my 2009 LT for about four months, and am pretty happy with it so far. It is in good condition. Biggest issue is the dealership where I purchased dropped the transmission on the floor and broke the mount for the center stand, so it is not installed right now. They were replacing the clutch. I do not have many maintenance records, and am at nearly 72K miles. In the next few months, I plan to breaking in to her to do some things. Mainly maintenance items. I've been doing research on this forum to come up with a list of items I may want to address while I have her apart. Please let me know your thoughts and if there is anything else I should add. Bike is mostly stock. In no particular order:

-Usual fluid/filter changes (oil, coolant, final drive, etc.)
-Install Spiegler SS brake lines
-Replace plastic fuel line disconnect
-Replace in-tank fuel lines
-Remove charcoal canister
-Remove CAT code plug
-Install Stage 9 Gemi ECU chip
-Add oil to rear preload shock
-Clutch slave cylinder weep hole.
-Check/replace brake pads/rotors
-Check compression
-New O2 sensor
-New spark plugs/wires
-Valve adjustment

That's all I have right now. What do you think?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hi, Steve. I'm not sure on the CAT code plug removal in 2009 model years, so might verify that. And unless the dealership cleans up the gear shift linkage as part of their work, you should. Best of luck in your project.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm with Dick on the cat code plug. If it has one or has the brown wire,those should be in their normal installed or uncut state when installing a performance chip in the ECU. The reason is that the modified program is the default program and you don't want to have it use a possibly not modified program because of those being cut or removed. +1 on the cleaning and lube of the shift linkages.

Bleed the clutch same time you do the spieglers and if you don't have a spare bleed screw, use the one from the rear caliper to screw into both the front right check ball fitting and the same fitting on the clutch bleed hose. Then put it back and finish the rear bleeding.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Wait a second. The Dealer damaged the transmission and aren't repairing/replacing it? That's their responsibility!!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I would be very wary of this as the mount for the center stand IS THE TRANSMISSION. If one of the four "legs" was broken off I would ask for a replacement transmission unless they have an extremely good TIG welder to weld the broken leg back on with no leaks.

On to the list there is no CAT code plug and I would stay away from the ECU chip you won't notice anything and it puts the engine at risk for damage. Other wise go for it on the rest of the list. It may be a bit early for the fuel lines in the tank (mine were not changed until 90K and they were 12 years old and just fine). O2 I would leave alone unless you were getting crappy gas mileage.

Reactions: tvguy and Patric

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
well, you are going to be a lot "broker Steve" when you get through that list. :) good luck enjoy the ride.

Reactions: cws and tvguy

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Not to dampen your enthusiasm for an excellent bike, I hope you got an excellent deal for your '09 LT with 72,000 miles, needing a clutch and without all of the things you plan on doing.... I would assume that if the springs/shocks are original, you might want to consider replacing them and I'd also check on the status of the disc brake pads. :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I broke one of the legs off one of my transmissions..once..I had a welding shop put it back on.. It looked good, but I had to put the screw that went in that leg in my lath and turn it down a little from the end of the threads to the cap to get it to go in...It worked OK, but was fun for a time getting it put back together. :wink:

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
"-Add oil to rear preload shock"

Before jumping into all of that stuff, I would get a set of Wilber shocks from Ted Porter's shop.
It was the best money I spent on my LT. He will set them up for you and your riding style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts