BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been down for repainting for almost a year. I finally got it back together and now it won't hit a lick.
Here is what I can tell you.
Battery is hot. Turns over fine. I here the fuel pump when I turn the key on. there is gas in the tank. I have a GS 911 and it says the inj. are receiving a signal. I confirmed the confirmed signal with a test light. It will run on starting fluid. I don't have a way to test fuel pump pressure., but with the power port plug connected to the pump for contenus run test, I know I'm getting good flow, so I should be getting pressure. Also this is a low mileage bike.
Bottom line, the motor can run if it gets fuel. Why is it not getting fuel?

The hoses are not pinched.

No vac. leaks.

Is there a ground wire I could have cut, or not plugd in that would keep the inj. from opening, even though they are getting a signal??

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'd try to find a way to verify fuel pressure....it has to be in the right range for the injectors to fire. Pump can be running but not up to pressure.

Ron

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dick said:
Just a thought. Could the quick disconnectors at the fuel lines be reversed?
No. They thought of that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
it could be the rubber line on the fuel pump. it is u shaped in the tank. if it has a hole/tear in it you may be not getting enough pressure. you can barely see part of it if you look in the fill hole as long as the tank isn't completely full. you may notice some gas moving around if it is. i have heard others that have had this problem. you can find a pic of the fuel pump assembly online to give you an idea of how this looks.

just a possibility.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Is there a ground wire I could have cut, or not plugd in that would keep the inj. from opening, even though they are getting a signal??
maybe, there is a ground wire on the top of starter or something up there. You could try using a jumper wire from the battery ground to the motor block some place.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Undo the disconnects and press in on the internal valve. You should get a strong spray out of it once you open the valve. If not your hose on the fuel filter is either off or split.

·
Registered
929 Posts
+1 on previous post... If it runs for a bit on starter fluid it is a fuel issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi mate.
I notice you said you have enough fuel and that it's been standing almost a year.
Have you tried using fresh fuel?, as the old fuel may be past it's best.
Might be worth a shot.
Good luck anyway :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys, Long day here., but ding ding ding, we have a winner!
The U shape hose on top came loose from the filter!! HOW!! no clue.
I will try to add a photo latter.
I did learn two things. You can NOT power the fuel pump with the power port plug! it will plug in, but it is reversed polarity! The pump runs backwards!
Also never ever add a computer chip to the computer till completing the fuel pump problem!
I had bought a used Rhine west chip, and thought, well while I here I'll go ahead and install the chip. Well the chip would not work on my bike! That is where the long day part came in..

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Ain't it sweeeeet when she finally puurs that ready to growel at 5-6K RPM sound!

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yup - there's the outcome of those horrible BMW hose clamps again....

To fix, first check the fuel line very carefully - if there are any cracks anywhere then get a replacement (you don't want to be going all the way back in there again any time soon right?). Then cut off those useless BMW clamps (I found that carefully using a pair of bolt cutters and side cutters got 'em off pretty quickly and cleanly) and replace them with proper fuel injection clamps from beemer boneyard, and you should be all set.

I'm no fan of those BMW clamps if you can't tell - I had a similar issue with almost identical symptoms, but in my case the hose was not off, but was loose so it was leaking fuel under pressure....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts