BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the new rotor today. I gently pryed off the ABS ring from the old rotor. Put new rotor in Freezer and ABS ring in the oven. ABS ring dropped on too easy. spins around on rotor and has slop to it. I have read one other thread where this happened but the fix was never posted. What should I do?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Put the screws back in in a different area that should tighten it up.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica sorry couldn't help it

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
That's normal for the ABS ring to fit a little loose. Just tighten the screws with blue Loctite to hold it in place.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Just received my EBC rotor yesterday and hope to install tomorrow.
Looking forward to no clanking.
Thanks for the timely info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Who has the best deal on the EBC rotor for the LT? I did the temp RTV repair to stop the annoying "cow bell" sound, but it's time to do it right.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
JBeaver said:
Who has the best deal on the EBC rotor for the LT? I did the temp RTV repair to stop the annoying "cow bell" sound, but it's time to do it right.

Not sure if the Best deal but I purchased from:
Cycle Brakes
1/805/6715010
www.cyclebrakes.com

1 MD615 K1200 rotor $148.00
1 FA304HH brake pads 36.21
combo discount -6.21
S&H 13.57
sales tax 14.69
Total $206.26

Ordered by phone Wed, arrived Friday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JBeaver said:
Motorcycle Superstore

Rotor $141.99
Pad $33.99
Free Shipping

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK can i show my total lack of knowedge, and ignorance in these matters...Could one of you tech guys explain, why would you put the rotor (brake disc over here) in the freezer and the ABS ring in the oven !!! or is this a coded message for something else? :histerica

Regards

Mike (2005 LT)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
the rotor shrinks as it cools down, the ring expands in heat allows the ring to drop into place with out the use of force. (hammer or press) the ring is snug on the rotor the three screws stop the ring from coming off sideways

·
Registered
470 Posts
For those of you that have put these rotors on just be sure to check them often! The aluminum hub is far softer than the stock BMW hub. With this the wear between the rotor mounting rings is accelerated. After only 22k mi. mine was dangerously loose. This led to a concentric working position that started to wear into my brake caliper. I'm back to the stock rotor with 55k total miles. I will not use the EBC again. I will live with the occasional ring of that rotor. Please Inspect the rotor/hub connections frequently.....my 2c.

With all the twisties I ride here in So Cal I do alot of rear braking.......

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Axle said:
the rotor shrinks as it cools down, the ring expands in heat allows the ring to drop into place with out the use of force. (hammer or press) the ring is snug on the rotor the three screws stop the ring from coming off sideways
My ABS ring dropped onto the EBC rotor with snug fit without the freezing/heating routine.
1 hour total change out time including new pads.
I will inspect regularly per previous post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts