BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Facts: 2003 K1200LT with a Baehr K1200 LT Communication System, J&M Helmet Communication System with hard-wiring to the Baehr.

Adding a Garmin Zumo 660 on a BMR Co-Pilot Shelf and I use an Apple iPhone 3Gs.

I have powered the Zumo wiring harness directly to the battery. There are three other connections to be connected: one a mini-USB for traffic receiver (which I doubt that I will use), a mic-in plug 2.5mm, and an audio out 3.5mm.

My questions are:

1) How do I connect the Zumo to the Baehr? I assume I need to have the mic-out feature connected to use the J&M microphone on my helmet to use the bluetooth feature on the Zumo as it is paired with the iPhone. I also assume that the audio out also has to be connected to the Baehr in order for me to hear directional voice prompts through the J&M speakers in the helmet.

2) Where do I route the cables for the connection ends? I have assumed running them under tank, with the connections to be accessible under the seat for easy access to the Baehr. Are there things that I am missing or have not considered? Can the aforementioned devices be connected and controled via the Baehr?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to go back together with the bike.

Thank you all in advance for your expert tutelage.

John

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can help with some of this....

To hook the Baehr to the Zumo you need a Baehr cable made specifically for your model Baehr unit. This cable connects at one end to one of the leads of the Baehr and then splits into two lines, on with a 2.5mm for the mic and one with a 3.5mm for the audio out. Google to search for cable, or get them to get one for you where you bought the Baehr unit, not cheap! Look here for the Baehr website: http://www.baehrusa.com/Cables_Model.html

When I had an LT I pulled the left side tupper-ware and ran the cable from under the seat forward and then along the top of the left side of the gas tank, just under the lipof the "StingRay" and into the front cowl area and then out of a small hole I made next to the map light. Very neat and invisible under the Co Pilot Shelf

The way the iPhone connection works is that you pair it to the Zumo via bluetooth, and when the phone rings the Zumo signals you through the Baehr connection. You hear it ring and a message pops up on the Zumo screen with the option to answer, or you can just ignore it and drive if an 18 wheeler is bearing down on you. It works, I still do that today on my K1200GT.

Good luck with the install, and let me know if you need any clarification

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laurence,

THANK YOU IMMENSELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your information is greatly appreciated and helpful. i just could not get my head wrapped around how I would connect two leads from the Zumo, (audio out and mic in) to a single input to the Baehr. Your explanation that the Baehr cable is split has finally made the light bulb over my head go off.

Thank you again for your assistance.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts