BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern MI and am a little over 2hrs to the BMW dealer in Grand Rapids MI. I have a 9am appointment tomorrow for the 12k check up. I intended to ride it down in the am. Here is my problem. I went for a little ride tonight approx 10mi. I stopped at a buddies and visited for 2hrs or so. As I walked up to the bike getting ready to go home I noticed an oil puddle on the ground. I couldn't even really tell where it came from. I'm assuming the drive shaft but not sure. I decided to drive it home and after sitting for over an hour at home nothing has leaked. My question is, can I drive this the 2hrs down to the dealer? I don't really have a good trailer to haul it that far.

I wonder if one of you experts could call me and give me some idea what happened. If I shouldn't ride it I will be scrambling to find something to haul it with.

Thanks in advance,

David

231-357-3416

·
Registered
83 Posts
Praobably dumb questions, but we sometimes overlook the obvious ...

Are you sure it came from your bike? Could you have simply parked it where something else had dropped fluid?

What was it that was on the ground? engine oil? antifreeze? etc.

Did you check the bottom of the bike (and other culprit areas) for signs of leaking before you left your buddies as well as when you got home?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PastorSteve said:
Praobably dumb questions, but we sometimes overlook the obvious ...

Are you sure it came from your bike? Could you have simply parked it where something else had dropped fluid?

What was it that was on the ground? engine oil? antifreeze? etc.

Did you check the bottom of the bike (and other culprit areas) for signs of leaking before you left your buddies as well as when you got home?

I'm sure it came from my bike. It leaked down and was on the tire. It was an pinkish oily substance. I'm sure it wasn't antifreeze. I checked it all over when I got home and nothing seems to be leaking. I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know what the culprit areas are.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
dthogey said:
I'm sure it came from my bike. It leaked down and was on the tire. It was an pinkish oily substance. I'm sure it wasn't antifreeze. I checked it all over when I got home and nothing seems to be leaking. I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know what the culprit areas are.
Leaked on the *REAR* tire?

There is nothing you can make worse. I'd say start riding, but make sure you'll have the whole day off and a transport back because you aint going back on your bike.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Before I took it for any ride, I'd check all the oil levels. It may have stopped leaking because it's bone dry. That might not work out as well as you'd hoped!
If it's pinkish, it may well be Redline. I think lots of folks (not me, I hate the stuff) use it in final drives and trannys. Just keep in mind that there's not a lot of oil in the final drive to begin with, so check it just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, this is embarrassing. That's why I was hoping that someone would call me so I wouldn't have to post this. I don't even know how to check or where to check these levels. I do know where to check the engine oil. But that is it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I spoke to David, and it is not the engine. It is in the Final Drive region for sure. After his description to me, it sounds like it may be the rear brake line, but it also may be the final drive. "Pinkish" color kind of throws me though - a year old bike should still have clean brake fluid, IMO. There isn't any play in the FD.

I told him how to check the FD oil, and advised to do that before he rides. If he has full FD oil, he'll go to the dealer tomorrow. He has a straight highway ride.

Luckily, the "Warranty Gods" are still smiling upon him! :D

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andy said:
again: rear or front tire?

I'm sorry, it's the rear tire.

I have recieved a couple of calls and now think it's the rear brake line.

Thank you so much.

David

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
dthogey said:
Ok, this is embarrassing. That's why I was hoping that someone would call me so I wouldn't have to post this. I don't even know how to check or where to check these levels. I do know where to check the engine oil. But that is it.

OH NO YOU DON'T:
It's your duty to take the heat off the rest of us dumbasses for a while. Sorry, just the way it works around here :wave

Do let us know what you find though. Always a learning experience for someone.

·
Registered
910 Posts
:histerica
Roflmbaooooo

fpmlt said:
OH NO YOU DON'T:
It's your duty to take the heat off the rest of us dumbasses for a while. Sorry, just the way it works around here :wave

Do let us know what you find though. Always a learning experience for someone.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If it was pink then it's had to believe it's brake fluid. Now the rear drive has the BMW gear oil which is now pink in color.
I would be very careful riding, if you do not have the rear bearing going then it's a bad rear drive seal. Running the rear drive dry will trash the bearing real quick. I would check the fluid level on the rear drive.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Is the final drive fill cap still in place? It's at the top of the unit. See photo.

Yes, that happened to me. At the first 6k mile service on my LT, the tech left the fill cap off; I rode 3 hours to my next destination and discovered a mess. At that time the gear oil I used was black; the Mobil synthetic I'm using is red.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
I vote for rear drive fluid as the BMW synthetic is red now. Brake fluid (BMW anyway) is clear to yellowish.

The rear drives have been known to "puke" out a small amount of oil that gets trapped in the breather. Not a common item but not unheard of either.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
I still vote for the final drive; most likely a seal, hence the wheel won't show any play or harshness... for now so it is an inconclusive test.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
jzeiler said:
I vote for rear drive fluid as the BMW synthetic is red now. Brake fluid (BMW anyway) is clear to yellowish.

The rear drives have been known to "puke" out a small amount of oil that gets trapped in the breather. Not a common item but not unheard of either.
That was my first thought too, John. Maybe the FD was just over-filled a little bit and puked. Which would be the lesser of two evils.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just got home. It turns out that it was the final drive seal. It had nothing to do with the brakes.

Thanks again for all the help!

David

1 - 20 of 28 Posts