BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that frequent FD fluid changes with quality fluid will not improve the life cycle of our FD's.

As I see it the FD Fluid lubes the splines in the FD.

The problem with the drive appears to be the bearing.

Am I wrong in thinking that the FD Fluid does nothing to lube the bearing, I would think that this is sealed and not affected by the FD Fluid change?

A Gold Wing I had expereinced a FD Failure, but this was at 70,000 and it was the worn out splines.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great question HD. I wondered the same. I know someone here will be able to tell us.
Hip

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The FD fluid is used to lube the gears and the bearing. It is an open bearing. I would be curious to know if a sealed bearing would work better in this application. Was going through a bearing catalog earlier this morning and came across the same size sealed bearings. $350 vs $150.

dan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
The only benefit to frequent oil changes is knowledge. You see the condition of the oil and if the bearing is staring to spall.

As to the spline issue the paralever design minimizes spline slide over the older design - thus much less wear and no requirement to periodically re-lube the splines.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Had a discussion about the FD problem with my brother, a full blooded Harley guy, rides 47 Flathead, anyway, he said it sounded like some issues HD's have had where multiple vendors supply parts, and one of the vendors supplies a bad or faulty product.

If a small item isn't documented as to which bike it was installed into, and just mixed into the building/parts cycle then the failures would not show any type of pattern.

No pattern other than the earlier models that started to have the failures. By the time the factory determines there is a problem, the supplier either has corrected the problem or no longer supplies the item.

Other (later) failures could be coincidental or from other reasons. It would really be interesting to compile facts like serial numbers, plant location, month of build date, etc to see if there is a link between failures.

Anyway..just my rattled thought process.

It's Friday !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DanMartin said:
The FD fluid is used to lube the gears and the bearing. It is an open bearing. I would be curious to know if a sealed bearing would work better in this application. Was going through a bearing catalog earlier this morning and came across the same size sealed bearings. $350 vs $150.

dan
Thank You for this information. Now off to chnage my FD Fluid.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
KIC said:
Had a discussion about the FD problem with my brother, a full blooded Harley guy, rides 47 Flathead, anyway, he said it sounded like some issues HD's have had where multiple vendors supply parts, and one of the vendors supplies a bad or faulty product...
Anyway..just my rattled thought process.

It's Friday !
Yeah.. reminds me of a "supplier" who provided service parts to us. In the contract, they were allowed a 5% failure rate. So, when the end of the year came around, they shipped the parts to meet their 5% requirement.. Our customers were pleased.... (NOT!)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
HDusenbery said:
It seems to me that frequent FD fluid changes with quality fluid will not improve the life cycle of our FD's.

As I see it the FD Fluid lubes the splines in the FD.
The oil does not lube the drive shaft splines

HDusenbery said:
The problem with the drive appears to be the bearing.
Yes

HDusenbery said:
Am I wrong in thinking that the FD Fluid does nothing to lube the bearing, I would think that this is sealed and not affected by the FD Fluid change?
Bearing is open type running in oil, so yes it is lubed.

HDusenbery said:
A Gold Wing I had expereinced a FD Failure, but this was at 70,000 and it was the worn out splines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts