BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. Long story, somewhat shortened up: back in May I became somewhat bored with my '05 LT-wonderful bike; perhaps the best I've ever had. Owning/riding the same bike for six years got to be a lettle tiring. Plan A; buy a new R1200RT and wait until the new generation LT's are available. The CANBUS/Bushtec irreconcilable differences stopped that plan. Plan B; buy an '02 R1150RT and wait it out. Ruth's fanny and the R1150RT's seat and overall space limitation compelled me to sell the RT just yesterday to a fellow in Pennsylvania who called me this morning telling me how he enjoyed riding it home yesterday.
On to Plan C; buy a new '06 Gold Wing with audio/comfort/navigation/abs and load 'er up with farkles; then go into wait mode for the new generation LT. Ruth and I rode the GW down to Charlotte last night to watch the Panthers wup the Dolphins, had a good ole time. A few early observations:

LT winner category: brakes, suspension, engine heat management, styling/design (subjective), cache (subjective), and fuel mileage.

GW winner category: way 'mo engine (torque, smoothness, throttle response), lower center of gravity (has tradeoff's in cornering), completeness/length of warranty plus extended factory warranty, much less maintenance intensive ( I, for one, like a lettle grease under my finger nails), ease of filling gas tank, locomotive like high beam headlight, dealer network, multiple accessory vendors.

Anyhow, Ruth and I will plan a grand entrance next Thursday at CCR sans stuffed animals, pinstriping, vests, patches and pins. Oh yeah, we'll prolly get lost on our way to the next 'Wingding' too!

Okay Daddy Don, I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats Bruce. That's a sharp looking bike. Been waiting for you to spill the beans on the board. Now you can jump in on all those LT vs GW threads with some authority. See you next week at CCR, sorry we'll miss the chance to ride down with you.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
tarheel_rider said:
Congrats Bruce. That's a sharp looking bike. Been waiting for you to spill the beans on the board. Now you can jump in on all those LT vs GW threads with some authority. See you next week at CCR, sorry we'll miss the chance to ride down with you.
Bruce who? There used to be a really nice LT rider here named Bruce, have not heard from him in a day or so. Hearing really nasty rumours though. :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
bharrisjr said:
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. Long story, somewhat shortened up: back in May I became somewhat bored with my '05 LT-wonderful bike; perhaps the best I've ever had. Owning/riding the same bike for six years got to be a lettle tiring. Plan A; buy a new R1200RT and wait until the new generation LT's are available. The CANBUS/Bushtec irreconcilable differences stopped that plan. Plan B; buy an '02 R1150RT and wait it out. Ruth's fanny and the R1150RT's seat and overall space limitation compelled me to sell the RT just yesterday to a fellow in Pennsylvania who called me this morning telling me how he enjoyed riding it home yesterday.
On to Plan C; buy a new '06 Gold Wing with audio/comfort/navigation/abs and load 'er up with farkles; then go into wait mode for the new generation LT. Ruth and I rode the GW down to Charlotte last night to watch the Panthers wup the Dolphins, had a good ole time. A few early observations:

LT winner category: brakes, suspension, engine heat management, styling/design (subjective), cache (subjective), and fuel mileage.

GW winner category: way 'mo engine (torque, smoothness, throttle response), lower center of gravity (has tradeoff's in cornering), completeness/length of warranty plus extended factory warranty, much less maintenance intensive ( I, for one, like a lettle grease under my finger nails), ease of filling gas tank, locomotive like high beam headlight, dealer network, multiple accessory vendors.

Anyhow, Ruth and I will plan a grand entrance next Thursday at CCR sans stuffed animals, pinstriping, vests, patches and pins. Oh yeah, we'll prolly get lost on our way to the next 'Wingding' too!

Okay Daddy Don, I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...

Out of closet...now don't you feel better, the whole world wide web now knows you got a Goldwing.... now if we can get the trailer and bike to match...:)

See you and Ruth at CE...

·
Registered
597 Posts
wardenross said:
Bruce,

Is your '05 LT for sale? I sold her back in June to a really nice fellow, John Letteney of Southern Pines, NC. He promised to give her a good home and treat 'er right.

I've heard rumors that the '07 Wing will be very different than the '01 to '06 run.
In what respect do you anticipate differences Allen?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Bruce, I'm mad 'cause you didn't call me while you were in Chattanooga! LOL

Chattanooga is about 1 mile away!

Really, a Wing?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have a recollection of providing some colorful zipties to mount a stuffed animal on the back of some guy's bike and now I'm trying to figure out how to do the "ignore" thing to him. Sounds like Bruce might be following in the footsteps of ....... sheesh now I've forgotten the guys name.

:)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
all new

BruceHarrisJr said:
In what respect do you anticipate differences Allen?
I read somewhere (MCN, I guess) that the '07 will be a completely new bike. If not the '07 then the '08. I will see if I can find the article.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
bharrisjr said:
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing.
It doesn't matter what you ride....

only THAT you ride. Enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Gw Vs Gt

bharrisjr said:
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. .... I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...
Congrats on the new ride. Hope you and your gal have many, many safe and reliable miles.

SO and I tried both the GW and GT. We went with the nimble GT.

Whatever blows your skirt up!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Really hope you enjoy your new bike. The Goldwing can be an awesome bike, and I know the dealer in Chattanooga really moves them out the door at a great price. d.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts