BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little history- purchased used last August with 5K miles (2005). Been changing final drive fluid at 6k intervals with BMW fluid. Bike now has 28k miles and while removing wheel this morning for a new tire, I usually grab wheel front and rear and make sure there is no movement. This morning I noticed for the first time some movement or end play if you will. I never noticed this movement before with same procedure. Is there supposed to be some play or not. I may be a little paranoid due to all the talk of final drive failures but want to be sure. Like I mentioned I never noticed with same test in the past. Occasionally I lay on my side and give the wheel a wiggle test for side play. Sooooo, am I concerned for no reason. Bike is still under warranty at this point but it seems I read somewhere that they only repair failures. Asking those in the know------Thanks, Rethy

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Although it's not impossible, I'm thinking you might just be paranoid,
according to our survey out of 161 reported only 2 are 2005 models, that's only 1.24%

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/survey.php?&do=results&sid=28

I've owned 2 LT's and had one final drive failure, (on my 02)
I guess you could say that's a 50% failure rate :)
I'm gonna ride it, if it breaks I'll bitch and fix it and ride it some more.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rethy,

You should not have any wheel movement. I'd have the dealer check it out if you are still under warranty.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
92 Posts
play in final drive

I have almost the same time on my bike. I purchaced my 2005 last September with a little over 5,000 on it and now have 30200 on it.

I ran into a guy that had issue that fits your situation. I stopped by the Daytona dealer during bike week last spring and he was just getting back on the road after having a bearing failure while on the interstate. His recommendation to avoid this was to check the play of the rear wheel while on the centerstand before you set out on a ride. I check mine religously but I am curious to hear how your issue turns out since the milage is similar to mine.

Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Took mine to the dealer only a week ago with the same slight amount of play. The mechanic checked it and said not to worry its just play in the pinions. But he did also add that I should check it regularly to see if it gets worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer response

Well I called the two closest dealers to me, both about 2 hours away. I did not expect a diagnosis over the phone but expected a consistent opinion. The first dealer said a little play may not be anything to worry about but needed to see the bike. Second dealer stated there should be no movement. I will try to get to the dealer this Saturday for a more informed opinion.----------------Rethy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Final drive play

Hi there from the North of England; I got an 05 LT last November with 8500 miles on it; I found a little play in the rear end at the wheel; so I took it to my BMW maintenance shop and they said no worry, just some play in the paralever taper bearings.(I've replaced these on my K11, and it's no big deal and they do wear). They tightened up these bearings at the 12000 service in March and I have 16000 on it now and no play, just smooth free turning of the wheel. Just did a 3k trip round France; lovely!! They're strong beasts.
Hope that helps. Good luck
Tony.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Checked Mine

I must be getting (more) paranoid, I had to go and check.

05 with 53K, no rear play axially or "wobble".

Joe

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dumb question here... but i'm a mechanical kinny-gardner...

by "play" are you all talking side-to-side, or up and down? a bit more specific... when my 02 is on the center stand and the bike is in neutral, the wheel spins freely. In first gear I can move the wheel maybe an inch forward... and an inch back.

Side-to-side would be me gripping the rear tire while on center stand and trying to wiggle left and right.

like i said... dumb question, but I really don't know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The play can be either in the paralever taper bearing (see Tony above) or the improper shimming of the drive itself.

To check the former, have someone else wiggle the wheel while you touch the universal shaft that connects the rear drive to the drive shaft. You can pull back the gator or just feel through the rubber. If that's it, it's a 10 minute adjustment, but you need the right tools and a sensitive torque wrench.

If it's the later, have the drive shim adjusted by the dealer. My '99 needed the shim adjustment and that adjustment all but eliminated the dreaded head shake when slowing with hands off the bars.

I'd like to know if you have head shake before and after adjusting out the rear wheel play.

Richard

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer checked

When I got to the dealer they mentioned it should be cool to check. Tech looked at it anyway and said the play was likely the paralever taper adjustment or bearing worn out. I said well try the adjustment and if that does not take care of it I will schedule it for bearing replacement since it is under warranty. Tech would not do it under warranty. Claims BMW considers the bearing a wear part, kinda like brakes and tires. So much for 3 year 36K mile warranty. What a shame this bike has so many issues because it sure is a pleasure to ride. Anyway that is the update. ----------Rethy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Rethy said:
...I said well try the adjustment and if that does not take care of it I will schedule it for bearing replacement since it is under warranty. Tech would not do it under warranty. Claims BMW considers the bearing a wear part, kinda like brakes and tires...
Pick up phone, dial BMWNA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts