BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does plastic welding really exist? I am still trying to repair my front fender. I thought I had it but on a 400 mile trip this weekend it came apart again. (Thank the Gods for Gorilla tape). Will plastic weld work? Where do I look for a "Plastic Welder"?

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Hot air welding of plastics is very common industry. It uses a hot air jet and "filler" rod. The Harbor Freight one posted is a pretty inexpensive way to get started. You do need to get the proper filler though, ABS, PVC, etc, depending on the base plastic. Most BMW parts have the plastic type identified in a molding mark.

Warning: It takes a little practice to get a good weld, so if you decide to try it, try to find some scrap of the type you need to use at a plastics fabricator to practice on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I googled spin welding last week and came upon an interesting discussion. The guy uses abs welding rods mounted in a dremel and the friction melts the rod and makes a nice bead. I drove to Harbor frieght, got some rods and gave it a try. Works pretty good. Reason I googled spin welding is as a kid I had a toy dragster that you welded together with welding rods that attached to a small drill type thingy. The guys on the forum had them too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you don't want to DIY, go to an outdoor store that sells kayaks. Can't own one of those without having it welded shut from time to time :)

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did this all the time in the Navy as an Electronics Tech. Way to many people I worked with phat fingers and pressing on buttons to hard. They would crack the plastic surrounds for keypads and such. Just need some scrap plastic, a hot iron, and decent negative ventilation, and you'll be all set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts