BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice ride yesterday afternoon and hit a small pothole at moderate speed. When I got home I discovered the flip-down door inside my topcase had broken off, one hinge pin broken, opposite side hinge broken. I've learned to ASK before trying things so does anyone have a recommendation for epoxy etc that will work on the interior topcase plastic? I suppose I could also make a replacement piano hinge etc. to hold the door on again. 2005 LT. Thanks all you senior members for helpingus newbies!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Just get a small piano hinge and install it. It will never break again. Many have done this modification. If you replace it it will just do it again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Must have hit that same pothole yesterday, the repaired hinges broke off. I think it is time to get the piano hinge and be done with it, great idea. Had a mirror fall off after hitting road repair. Thankfully they are tethered, thanks to this site.

Thank you all,

BP

film is my life

2000 LT "the other woman"
2006 KLR

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Yes I thought I might attach a piano type hinge with some small rivets as a possible fix. I discovered the whole door/box assembly comes off making it much easier to work on for repair. I used some epoxy to put the broken bits back together and it seems to have bonded. I think I'll just leave the door/box off until I sell the bike (maybe someday). I assume the wire and plug I found in there are for the topcase brakelight if you have one installed, which I don't? Anyway I have just bought a used Ft. Worth rack off e-bay and will be taking the topcase off for awhile. I ride my bike solo back and forth to work and am still amazed at the handling and mileage; on regular gas runs well and gets 53-54 mpg. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
cdrprn said:
I think I'll just leave the door/box off until I sell the bike (maybe someday).
That's what I did six years ago. The part has been fine in a box in my garage ever since. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts