BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and did not come up with an answer.

Where would you mount the two ballasts for Hella HID Micro DE lights?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Don Arthur's suggestion...

Attached is a PDF file written by Don Arthur describing his installation.

It looks like a nice, clean install with good stability. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I mounted my lights slightly inboard, underneath my tipover bumpers. I like them there and I also like the separation they offer and the "triangle" of light that they provide. Now mind you, you'll probably gain more after dark illumination if they are mounted up slightly higher, but I like them just fine where they are and after dark riding for me is not an option unless I am caught out there. I mounted my balasts on the bottom of my chin spoiler and ran the cables up through the openings on either side of the motor. Been in plenty of rain with no issues in 20,000 miles.. A riding buddy of mine has had his there for over 25,000 miles with no issues.

I custom made some thin inch wide steel strapping, drilled some mounting holes on the bottom of the spoiler and strapped them in place. Also used some double sided tape on the balasts to help cushion them to the tupperware.

Dick

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I mounted my light below the mirrors. Best to have driving lights as close to eye level as possible. Under the cowl like Don Arthur did is almost the same level. Where you mount them determines where you can mount the ballasts. They are not particularly small. I was able to mount mine in the upper outer part of the fairing roughly behind the speakers. I didn't make any special brackets I just wire tied them in. The cable runs down and out through a hole I cut in the triangular shaped panel that holds the rotating flaps under the mirrors.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts