BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for pits falls to avoid while replacing the throttle cables on my 00.
Hope there is a thread with pixs?

I found a 2006 thread from Johnrehder:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15127

I’ve read other threads on throttle replacement.

From a 2010 post: “I was able to replace them without removing the fuel rack or breather housing. Careful around the handlebar grip, there are hidden screws and tricks to get it apart. Turning the grip a certain place after you have the old cables loose, allows you to slide it back about 1 inch without removing the grip heat wiring. This will let you use a small 90 degree phillips to take the cable contraption loose.”

When I picked up the parts, MAX BMW NH had all of the parts in stock along with EBC pads for my 00’s front brakes, one of their mechanics said that I didn’t have to remove the air box.

But some times things do not go as planned?

The mechanic said that regular hose clamps are too wide and thus can dig into the tube. I was going to pick up the BMW clamps, just in case, until I found out that they probably require a special tool.

Any tips about replacing those clamps?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John

Lookin for pixs taken during an install.

Got snow yet?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The throttle bodies do not need to be removed for the job but you will need some long forceps and a good deal of patience. Pay attention to how the original cables are tensioned as they relate to the small switch on the TB assembly. You can see on the under side of the bar cover what needs to be cut out for the new cable routing. I also suggest brushing up on your profanity skills. The job is a little tedious but not too bad using a lift.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
BecketMa said:
Hi John

Got snow yet?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
Bob, I'm pretty sure I have the TSB that describes, with pics, the procedure for installing upgraded throttle cables for the early MY 1200LTs. Send me your e-mail address by PM, and I'll send it to you. Might be a day or so - I think it's on a computer I don't use often and I'll need to boot it up again.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
There are other pics out there I am sure. As far as snow, no way! In fact, although it was about 42' on the way to work today, it was about 71' coming home! And blue sky all day!

John
BecketMa said:
Hi John

Got snow yet?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if Curtis has polished up his LT chains yet?

·
Registered
607 Posts
After I installed my throttle cable upgrade I felt that the bike would not go as fast as she used to...my top end speed was reduced.

I pulled hard on the throttle one day and realized that I was not getting a full rotation.

There was a part of the throttle cable that was getting hung up on a throttle body clamp.

I had to loosen the clamp and rotate slightly for the throttle cable mechanism to fully clear.

Now she has full throttle capabilities.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your time and the great tip.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts