BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear drive failed after roller bearings failed.
While reinstalling the new final drive, I examined the outside pivot pin. Lucky I did. One was totally a mess, new bearings would have rattled in it.
I wonder how many of these get reinstalled - a possible addition to repeated failiure rates maybe.
I check all parts before reinstalling them, but I do wonder if service centers bother.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Caution on Assembly

I agree that any play in this bearing will hasten a F/D failure. While removing the swing arm for slave drilling I discovered a missing roller / pin in a new assembly. Still not sure how or why, but I replaced the bearing (both). The cage containing these pins is very easily damaged during assembly if the 30mm nut (both sides) is not initially straight. I made up an adjustable jig (see pic) which holds things true during replacement. HTH

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fine bit of kit you made yourself there. Not a bad idea at all. I was wonering how I was going to hold it in position.
I think i will make one like that out of wood while I wait for the pivot pin to arrive.
Out of interest, what is the warning sticker on yours? Mine don't have that.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
ABS Gap

"Out of interest, what is the warning sticker on yours? Mine don't have that."

It is the ABS sensor gap. Must be stuck on at the factory as my new spare F/D also has one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts