BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting isn't it? Pirelli is the parent company of Metzeler and lo and behold, the new Z6interact and Z8 Intereact are made in the same factory, with the same green tire carcass, as the Angel ST. I currently have a Metzeler Z6 interact on the front of my RT, which WAS paired with a Metzeler Z6 roadtec rear. I had a mishap with my rear tire while away from home, and replaced it with an Angel ST rear tire. I rode back into town with the new combination and noticed a great improvement in handling. I later found out that the tires were the exact same technology: Instead of different rubber compounds, different steel belt tensions were used. Bottom line is...the same tech with differnt tread patterns transates into good handling.

I know what some of the purists are going to say here....keep the same brand and same style tire on front and back. But those of us who cannot afford to throw away a good tire so the front and rear match can take solice in knowing that the above combo works just fine!

·
Registered
287 Posts
How many miles did you have on the old tire? Any brand new tire may feel better than one that is worn.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had a similar experience.

Hated the Metzeler Z6 tires that came on my 2009 RT. I replaced them, front and back, with Pirelli Angel ST tires. The result was a huge improvement! More sure-footed feeling, improved ride, quieter, and, hopefully, longer lasting.

I currently have a little over 2000 miles on this pair. I like them a lot and if I can get at least 7K from the rear tire, I'll replace them with another set when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I just put the second set of Angels on my RT. The first set lasted 8.5k miles. However, I didn't notice that the rear had been mounted backwards until 7k into the tire :wow: . Instead of reversing the tire just before a trip to the Keweenaw I continued to ride it. Going up the trip was wet and cool. Coming back it was very windy. No problems with the tires (or the bike for that matter. it ran great!)

Once home from work the following Monday I noticed shiney streaks in the middle of the rear's tread; steel belts. The front still had what looked like another 1k-1.5k miles left. But I replaced them both. (must be one of them damn purists) :)

Besides the great handling and reasonable pricing these are the quietest tires I've ever run on this RT, my 97RT, and my 00 LT. No cupping on the front- no noise! I ran the tires at 37psi front, 41psi rear. I believe these pressures a bit high, especially the rear. The front was worn pretty evenly but the rear wore more in the center. So, I'm running 35/37 to see what the difference may be. So far (150 milles) the hanndling is still responsive, no wiggle from the rear, and braking response is very good (although they're still in the scuff in phase)

Who knows? Maybe now that the rear is mounted correctly I'll see 10k miles out of the set!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Ozonewanderer. I only had about 9K on the rear Metzeler. It had 6/32 tread left(per the mechanic who replaced the tire), so the worn vs new would not really apply here. The Z6 replaced was a standard Roadtec, not an IT iteration. I was really just commenting on the Z6 IT/ Z8 IT and it's similarities to the Pirelli Angels.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ XTrooper, we retired from a common career. I retired from Phoenix PD in 1996.

@Matt. I agree with you about the Pirelli's being quiet and improving the handling of the bike. Each person has his/her own expectations and experiences from the tires on their bikes, but so far, I have not found anyone unhappy with the Angel ST's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi
I am ready for new rubber.
How do either of those tires compare with Conti Road Attacks?
I've had Metzlers mostly since I had the bike but I really liked the Contis for vacations. Mileage was lower but I really liked the handling.
Ellie

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ellie. I am sure that there will be others who can help you with the comparisons. I have only experienced Bridgestone, Metzeler, and Pirelli motorcycle tires on the RT.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
gekko10 said:
Hi Ellie. I am sure that there will be others who can help you with the comparisons. I have only experienced Bridgestone, Metzeler, and Pirelli motorcycle tires on the RT.
Same.

·
Registered
355 Posts
gekko10 said:
@ XTrooper, we retired from a common career. I retired from Phoenix PD in 1996.
I hope you've been enjoying your retirement as much as I have mine. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am brother, I am. Almost all the blue is out of my blood, except for the essential parts, lol, and I KNOW you KNOW what I mean.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts