BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A previous pinstriping thread has gotten me thinking this is something I would like on my bike.
I found a place local that can do it. Here is a link to his site. He did state he only hand paints, no vinyls. He also quoted me ballpark around $300 for a bike with 2 colors. Is this the going rate on something like this? By looking at his site he looks like he knows what he's doing. He'll even do it at my house if I can heat up the garage and provide good lighting.
I'm not sure what designs I'm looking to get. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
Thanks for any input.
Ed

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Can some other LT owners post their pics to see the various designs? That may help.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
edonthenet said:
A previous pinstriping thread has gotten me thinking this is something I would like on my bike.
I found a place local that can do it. Here is a link to his site. He did state he only hand paints, no vinyls. He also quoted me ballpark around $300 for a bike with 2 colors. Is this the going rate on something like this? By looking at his site he looks like he knows what he's doing. He'll even do it at my house if I can heat up the garage and provide good lighting.
I'm not sure what designs I'm looking to get. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
Thanks for any input.
Ed

Perhaps some accent pinstriping that's it. Graphics take away from the inherent beauty of the bike. JMO.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
murray said:
Perhaps some accent pinstriping that's it. Graphics take away from the inherent beauty of the bike. JMO.
Justmake sure you choose the right colors, a good pinstriper will help with that decision, do not get gawdy with it and it will look great, I've seen a couple that really looked nice accented correctly.

Good luck!

I wonder if I could get my Pinstriper friend to come up from FL to CCR?

he's good real good!

Tom

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pete,
Get on the computer and play with some ideas...you never know what you can come up with. See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pinstriping

I did my own with pinstriping tap. I have the 2005 Blue, which I did not want to much striping. This might give you an idea. I do not have the best pictures that show it real good.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am a "flame" freak so I had Scarecrow pinstripe BMW blue and white flames on my fender and saddlebags, as well as the back of the trunk lid.

I'll post a few showing him doing the bike, then tomorrow (Tuesday) when it stops puring rain I can shoot the whole completed job.

I may have him "tone" the blue down a bit this year, or not. My wife likes it a lot, I think it may be a bit bright, but I'll see by April when he comes back east.

Gene

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I hope it stops raining to some more pics!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Why not vinyl? Virtually all the automotive graphics you see are vinyl even factory ones. Easy to install, moderately goof proof, removable. No need to clear coat. Many colors and styles from suppliers such as Universal Products http://www.u-p.com/S_G.html DIY for about $15 a roll. And if you want flames, etc. there it is.

No affiliation with above. I wouldn't pin strip my LT, but I am going to reproduce the stripes on my old Kaw after I repaint it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Vinyl

Here is another place that has vinyl. Advantage to vinyl is when you sell your bike the person that purchases it my not like the pinstriping and it can be removed real easy. www.decalzone.com/index.php.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The biggest problem with vinyl pinstriping is they say they start coming apart in as little as 2 years, especially in this area where the temps vary greatly. I guess the constant expansion/contraction wears them out.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'd leave it alone

Hey Gene, That looks really good. I think I'd leave it alone. JM2CW.

Happy New Day!

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
Here's some pics for ya'..... and a story....

I met this pinstriper standing in the beer line at a Harley type event. We got to talking....

A few beers later, I had this:

So far, so good. He matched the blue in the Roundel, and the silver of the lowers. But, many, many beers later I had all this:

I ended up taking it all off except for the side striping. Acetone is your friend... Didn't hurt the paint at all.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
edonthenet said:
Thanks for any input.
Ed

We have almost the same identical bike except I have the grey seats. I thought of a silver / pewter color for a "thin line" penstripe. It would be VERY little though. I want mine to not be visible untile close up. I think this bike would look too gaudy with heavy or 2 line penstripe.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ed .... I would agree with what most have already posted. I have had most all of my bikes striped but I believe LESS is more. I only want a little accent to personalize my ride and make it different than every other bike out there. Kerry Buckley does nice work. He has been at Americade now for a few years. Most all of the guys who are at Americade do nice work. Each one, much like any artist, has his or her own distinct style. Most guys charge about $250 for an entire Wing or LT with whatever you like in 2 colors. Not all of them will do small jobs though. If it were me I would try and make it to Americade in June as I see you are in NJ. Once there walk around the large parking lots and look are the other bikes and photo what you like. Then hit the Tour Expo and look at each striper's books and watch them work. The only 2 guys I let touch my bikes are Mountain Man or TJ. Mountain Man is in the expo area and TJ is set up in Warrensburg. Both of these guys will do as little or much as you like. Remember you can always add later. I hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts