BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quoted $1669.00 tax included for 4 year premier plan, abs included,seals & gaskets,touring bike package all included .05 Still under factory warr until Aug. I'm being told here in FL the price is regulated,does it seem hi or normal? Thanks ,rbots. Price is from the dealership where I purchased the bike.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Have you noticed that just about every time you buy any piece of hardware these days - even a toaster at Sears - that the cashier will pretty much insist that you need to purchase an outrageously expensive extended warranty?

There are two reasons why they push this so hard - the cashier gets a token commission for selling it, and his/her employer makes a 50% commision for doing absolutely nothing!

From what I have witnessed over the years - and especially for motorcycles - when you have a warranty claim the companies will fight paying it tooth and nail. Most of the companies issuing these warranties have larceny in their hearts to start with.

I would sure as heck investigate if any complaints have been lodged against the company you are considering by Googling, checking with the BBB, chat rooms, etc. before plunking down $1.7 large for something you most likely will never use. That's just WAY too much... negotiate. I find it VERY hard to believe that the price of these warranties are regulated by ANYONE - that dealer is lying through his teeth in hopes that you won't shop around.

IMO, extended warranties are a total rip off. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and have heard of one company - Western - that actually took care of a customer with no questions. My bet is they are in a VERY small minority.

I would rather take a small fraction of that money, buy some tools, a service video and parts at a 20% discount from retail and do it myself. Odds are you can do as a good a job as any service department - and most often better and faster.

Attachments

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Unless they've gone way up in the past few years, you've been quoted too much.

I did a 2000 LT for 3 years in 2002, and it was only $649.

It covered a ABS unit and a Rear Main Seal. More than paid for itself

·
Registered
300 Posts
I paid $600 for the extended warranty when I bought my 07 RT. The dealer wanted $1,000. I said I'd give $600. He said he couldn't do it. I said I work in the auto industry and know that at least 1/2 of that price is mark up. He looked at me and said ok. Shop around.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I got a pinnacle 4 yr plan for my 05' and paid $1150 covers everthing except the center stand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dmatson , Thats a good price, maybe I should check else where in FL to see if I can get it cheaper, the price i'm getting in FT Myers seems high.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought mine from Ft. Myers for less than $1000 last year with a 100,000 mile warranty. Had a seal and radio replaced, no problems (Daytona BMW). My center stand went out and that is about the only thing not covered. I had the pinn coverage on a cager some years age also with no problems. Ft. Myers BMW seem to be charging more than most other shops now??? Check on line or with Haps cycles in Sarasota. They also sell and service BMW's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I paid around $600 or $650 for a Pinnacle plan, in Florida, on my 2002 K1200 LT. My plan extended full coverage out to 6 years from date of purchase. I recently had to replace the radio to the tune of over $1100.00. All but the tax was covered under the warr. My shop, BMW of Orlando, said that Pinnacle is one of the best out there. They never have a problem with claims being denied by them. I would highly recommend Pinnacle, but I think you need to haggle or shop the price you're being quoted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou bmwwandrr & m salerno 1 for your helpful input. I was not aware of Haps, I will give them a call. I reailize there is a markup, I have no problem with that but $1669.00 looks to be a bit much.

·
Registered
712 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Have you noticed that just about every time you buy any piece of hardware these days - even a toaster at Sears - that the cashier will pretty much insist that you need to purchase an outrageously expensive extended warranty?
I'm going to beg to differ on these exrtended warrentied BIG TIME! I have the extended warrenties from Sears for my fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, TV, microwave, etc. etc. etc. and I've gotten more than my money's worth back in return. When my original rear projection TV flaked out after 3 years and Sears could not fix it in a timely fashion, they refunded 100% of the purchase price. That 2K went to a brand new HD plasma TV. When my freezer freaked out because th e9 volt battery died in it, Sears paid for the wasted food and repalced the battery. I've had my microwave repaired under warrenty. Paid for the policy plus even more. Had the stove sparkers fixed, yearly checkups and tuning. Sear's warrenties are worth every d**n penny I paid for them. That's not to say all extended warrenties are worth it, but a Sears warrenty for appliances certainly are!

RonKMiller said:
IMO, extended warranties are a total rip off. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and have heard of one company - Western - that actually took care of a customer with no questions. My bet is they are in a VERY small minority.
That's good to hear as that is who I have my policy with and only paid $100. Good until 2012.

·
Registered
712 Posts
rbots said:
I here there are good people in Fallbrook,NICE. :)
I'd like to think so! :) There are of course the not nice people, but by and large it is a small community of about 40,000 and acts like a small town. People actually let you merge in traffic. <gasp>

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I called pinnacle and asked them for dealers in my area. I ended up buying the policy at a Boss Hoss dealer. And I agree Fallbrook is a very nice area!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to call Barb at pinnacle today to see whats available in the SW Florida area. I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
rbots said:
I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?
That should be a yes, but it is easier if your dealer knows how to deal with Pinnacle (or any after-market warranty company). When they know how to deal with the warranty companies, it's a lot less work on your part to manage the warranty process.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input eljeffe. I've heard good things about pinnacle, hoping to find a little better price. I'll list the dealers in SW Florida after I hear back from Barb at pinnacle,maybe it will help myself & others to make an informed decision & provide pricing options.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I'm going to beg to differ on these exrtended warrentied BIG TIME! I have the extended warrenties from Sears for my fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, TV, microwave, etc. etc. etc. and I've gotten more than my money's worth back in return. When my original rear projection TV flaked out after 3 years and Sears could not fix it in a timely fashion, they refunded 100% of the purchase price. That 2K went to a brand new HD plasma TV. When my freezer freaked out because th e9 volt battery died in it, Sears paid for the wasted food and repalced the battery. I've had my microwave repaired under warrenty. Paid for the policy plus even more. Had the stove sparkers fixed, yearly checkups and tuning. Sear's warrenties are worth every d**n penny I paid for them. That's not to say all extended warrenties are worth it, but a Sears warrenty for appliances certainly are!

That's good to hear as that is who I have my policy with and only paid $100. Good until 2012.
That's great that Sears pulled through and covered your appliances - man you had a LOT of stuff break! :D I never said that Sears warranties were an issue - just that EVERY FREAKIN' time I go to buy something there they hound me about buying them - enough that I'll buy my stuff someplace else since they are SO obnoxious about it. Do I really need to spend $7.95 on a warranty for a $25.00 toaster?

Getting back on track with motor vehicles - extended warranties are a VERY poor choice, at least for cars - unless you drive a Pontiac or Jeep... (and one could easily extrapolate that the same is true regarding motorcycles.)

Have a look at the chart below compiled by Consumer Reports, probably the only statistical analysis available:

On the flip side here's the spin from the trade group representing these rip off artists:

http://www.go-scic.com/insidepages/top5.cfm

I've never seen so much bull hockey in my entire life. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
rbots said:
I assume any dealer in the US would honor the warr ?
When my final drive went out in Denver on my way back from CCR 2005(?), the dealer said that they never heard of them. I ended up paying with credit card and submitted a claim to pinnacle with a letter stating that it was a holiday weekend, I tried contacting them, I was 1200 miles from home, and that it was fixed immediately. Pinnacle issued a check to reimburse me with no problems. Usually pinnacle wants to send someone out to look at what is broke before authorizing any repairs. I also had BMW roadside towing in which I tried contacting them without success. They also reimbursed me for towing charges.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M Trevelino, that speaks well about the integrity of the company. Good to hear positive news.

·
Registered
712 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Getting back on track with motor vehicles - extended warranties are a VERY poor choice, at least for cars - unless you drive a Pontiac or Jeep... (and one could easily extrapolate that the same is true regarding motorcycles.)
I'd have to agree, for the most part, that extended warrenties for cars are pretty worthless. Nevertheless I did buy an extended warrenty for the battery of my Ford Escape Hybrid. The warrenty is good for 8 years. I expect I'll need it somewhere along the way. And replacing the battery in a hybrid is a very expensive part.

For my LT, I would not have bought the motorcycle at all without a factory and extended warrenty. Too many instances of failure for me to be comfortable witht he purchase without the warrenty. Doesn't matter if I use it or not, I bought it more for the piece of mind in case of a failure. Of course, I also bought a used LT. A new one may have been a different scenario.

But take a look on th eboards for people that bought used. Soem get great results. Some do not! I was unwilling to risk that on a used purchase. To be honest, I've already recovered 3 ~ 4K using my remaining factory warrenty in just the 6 months I've had the motorcycle. If my extended warrenty covers one repair, it too will have paid for itself. And I do sleep well at night knowing my motorcycle is under warrenty. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts