BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting it. I run nothing but 92 or 93 octane, and I burn around a tank and a half during a typical week. Usually happens over 5,000rpm and decent load (going uphill). I know the bike sat a lot prior to my taking delivery, but I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. Thinking about running some Seafoam through the tank, but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TeSmSp said:
Does it do it even if you go down one gear?
I must not have explained it well. When I'm at WOT accelerating at high load above 5,000rpm, I'm getting detonation. I'd rather not grenade my engine by downshifting in that circumstance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That would be unusual for your bike. The engine has 2 knock sensors, one per cylinder and should retard the timing when it picks up a knock before it would be heard.
Unless you have a carbon issue that is providing a hot spot to ignite the mixture I'm not sure of the cause.
Check the plugs, try a different brand fuel, check for fault codes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New2rt said:
That would be unusual for your bike. The engine has 2 knock sensors, one per cylinder and should retard the timing when it picks up a knock before it would be heard.
Unless you have a carbon issue that is providing a hot spot to ignite the mixture I'm not sure of the cause.
Check the plugs, try a different brand fuel, check for fault codes.
It's done it with several tanks of gas from different stations. I've gotta do the 6k service this week, so I'll pull the plugs and have a look then. I'll give the Seafoam a shot too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
05 train, with your oil consumption and pinging symptoms in two threads may I suggest a trip to your dealer? Assuming your choice of gasoline brand is good and your initial running in (500 miles) was with variable engine speeds and not interstate cruising, you should not have either problem.
If your valves are too tight, not uncommon in initial running in, that would cause overheating of the combustion chamber and contribute to pinging. State as accurately as you can the symptoms, when those occur and conditions. Make it as easy as possible for the tech to narrow his focus on the problem and solution.
The Seafoam might make a difference if you have deposits but I think the 6k service will more likely address your problems.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slipknot said:
05 train, with your oil consumption and pinging symptoms in two threads may I suggest a trip to your dealer? Assuming your choice of gasoline brand is good and your initial running in (500 miles) was with variable engine speeds and not interstate cruising, you should not have either problem.
If your valves are too tight, not uncommon in initial running in, that would cause overheating of the combustion chamber and contribute to pinging. State as accurately as you can the symptoms, when those occur and conditions. Make it as easy as possible for the tech to narrow his focus on the problem and solution.
The Seafoam might make a difference if you have deposits but I think the 6k service will more likely address your problems.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what was or wasn't done at the 600 mile service, as my bike was a dealer demo I purchased with 4,000 miles on it. I'm going to dump all three fluids for the 6k and flush the brakes, as well as check the plugs, do the valve adjustment, and check/change the air filter. If the problem(s) persist, I'll take it in and see if there's something really wrong.

As I said, I know the bike sat a lot. A year old bike with only 4,000 miles does either a lot of short trips or a lot of sitting; neither is good for it. It wouldn't surprise me if either the fuel system or the combustion chambers (or both) were gunked-up. I'm generally not a big fan of the "tune-up-in-a-can" products, but I'd rather try the Seafoam than disassembling the engine.

Hopefully it's nothing, but given the fact that the detonation seems not to be a common issue, I'm a little concerned.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not sure where in Maryland you are located but I ride a lot in Maryland around Frederick and Hagerstown, WVA, and lower PA. I may be riding some of the same roads and using some of the same gasoline and my 2011 does not ping. Sorry to hear of your issue.

I have used Sea Foam and BG 44K for rough running and idle issues with success. I would be interested to know if it helps your pinging issue.

Chris

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have to agree, your bike should not ping. The 1150's yes, yours absolutely not. Sounds like a good dealer checkup is needed if it continues. (I personally don't think 5000 RPM is in the high range for this bike)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I had a high load miss that I traced to cracked spark plug insulators. The main plugs seem to have had their coils hammered on at the factory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that's not making me all warm and fuzzy. I'm gonna run the Seafoam through the tank tomorrow, then start on the service tomorrow night. I'll post up pictures of the plugs and anything else I find.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
05Train said:
Right plug.
Train - that looks normal to me. But ...

Aren't there two "right plug"?

And since your bike is a 2010, couldn't you take it to the dealer for warranty investigation? Granted that we sort of look for opportunities to prove we can figure things out, but this would seem to me to be a perfect time to get the dealer involved and register a complaint. Better to have it in the shop now than when the weather gets nicer.

JayJay

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Yea, you need to pull that bottom plug too. And you need to see if all the coils are good. Costs money on your own, bust the dealer. (one coil goes out, bike runs but not as much power when you get on it)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JayJay said:
Train - that looks normal to me. But ...

Aren't there two "right plug"?

And since your bike is a 2010, couldn't you take it to the dealer for warranty investigation? Granted that we sort of look for opportunities to prove we can figure things out, but this would seem to me to be a perfect time to get the dealer involved and register a complaint. Better to have it in the shop now than when the weather gets nicer.
I got on a roll and stopped taking pictures, the other three plugs looked identical. The valves, on the other hand.....

One of the RH exhaust valves was at .30, the rest were at .35, so I changed that shim. Both of the LH intake valves were at .10, so they're getting changed too.

We'll see how she runs when I put her all back together.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the other thread....

hopz said:
All sounds good, but if you can, do a throttle body synch after the valves... you may be amazed at the difference that will make. Well worth the trouble to make a dual tube manometer, or purchase a Twin Max or other devices.

Re: the transmission, I found that the ****** Severe Gear 75W90 made a huge difference- like a different transmission.
Harmonizer and GS-911 are in the mail. That'll be the weekend project.

Today I put Ams0il 10W-40 in the crankcase, 75W-140 in the transmission, standardized the valves to .15 for the intakes, .35 for the exhausts, checked the air filter (it was fine), and inspected the plugs. I didn't do the final drive fluid, as some joker went nuts with an air gun on the wheel bolts and I couldn't get them to budge, even with an air hammer. Bike's going to the dealer for new PR3s Thursday, so they can futz with it. I'll do the final drive this weekend.

I noticed a massive difference on the road. Much smoother, with no hesitation. I didn't really get on it, but there was no detonation the couple of times I visited the north end of the tach. It'll be interesting to see what the TBs look like when I do the sync.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haven't done the TB sync yet, waiting for the GS911 to show up. Every other thing for the 6k service has been done, including half a bottle of Seafoam through the gas tank.

Got the detonation again above 6,500rpm at WOT going uphill at 63 degree ambient air temperature. The sync has nothing to do with this, so it's clearly not a service issue. I'm thinking I'll Seafoam it one more time since it did help a bit. If that doesn't do it, to the dealer it goes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts