BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening chaps,

Simple enough, with the weight of the RT, would you guys recommend the GT road 5's or the standard?

Cheers,
Kyle

·
Registered
332 Posts
Evening chaps,

Simple enough, with the weight of the RT, would you guys recommend the GT road 5's or the standard?

Cheers,
Kyle
I would personally go with the GT. I emailed Michelin and asked about if I could fit 5s before the GTs came out and they said, stick to the 4 GT until the 5 GT were released. Lots use the 5s, but depends on loading and then in the UK there is the whole discussion about recommended tyres.

Here is their response

Thanks for the interest in Michelin tyres for your bike.

The Pilot Road 4 GT was developed while working closely with BMW to adapt the standard Pilot Road 4 to better suit the particular demands of the R 1200 RT and a short list of other bikes. Michelin were not entirely happy with the handling of the bike when using the standard tyres, in particular when/if the bike was pushed quite hard, and we engineered a solution to ensure rider satisfaction.

The solution was to create a new casing construction with optimised ply angles, made possible by a new assembly process to increase cornering stiffness. Cornering stifness has increased by 15% without resorting to increasing the number of casing plies which otherwise would have added approx 700g to the weight of the tyre. This construction guarantees the stability of the bike at speed without sacrificing comfort.

The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended. We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,

Customer Engineering Support – Operational Marketing

Europe North and Russia

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would personally go with the GT. I emailed Michelin and asked about if I could fit 5s before the GTs came out and they said, stick to the 4 GT until the 5 GT were released. Lots use the 5s, but depends on loading and then in the UK there is the whole discussion about recommended tyres.

Here is their response

Thanks for the interest in Michelin tyres for your bike.

The Pilot Road 4 GT was developed while working closely with BMW to adapt the standard Pilot Road 4 to better suit the particular demands of the R 1200 RT and a short list of other bikes. Michelin were not entirely happy with the handling of the bike when using the standard tyres, in particular when/if the bike was pushed quite hard, and we engineered a solution to ensure rider satisfaction.

The solution was to create a new casing construction with optimised ply angles, made possible by a new assembly process to increase cornering stiffness. Cornering stifness has increased by 15% without resorting to increasing the number of casing plies which otherwise would have added approx 700g to the weight of the tyre. This construction guarantees the stability of the bike at speed without sacrificing comfort.

The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended. We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,

Customer Engineering Support – Operational Marketing

Europe North and Russia
That sounds like my decision has ben made, I trust tyre manufacturers over bike manufacturers when it comes to tyre choice.

Very much appreciate that casbar! I am learning the ways of the heavy bike, despite spending 5 years on a CB1300 lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Evening chaps,

Cheers,
Kyle
I switched to the GT version of the Pilot Road 4s back in 2016 when I still had my old 2005 RT after attending the Michelin seminary at the MOA Rally in Billings MT. The tread composition and pattern is the same as a not-GT tire, but the sidewall is stiffer and provides more support and stability on the heavier sport touring bikes like RTs and the K1600s. After switching, I did notice a difference in handling, especially in sweepers when pushing the bike in a greater lean. The bike feels much more planted with a GT version. I also get slightly better mileages out to the GT version as well. It added 2 to 3 thousand more miles on the rear tire on my 2005 RT. For my 2019 R1250RT, I have always run PR4 GTs. I plan on going to the Road 5GTs for my next set.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
I now have Road 5 GTs on my 2018 RT. The Metz's on the bike which was purchased new in 2019 provided 9K with steel belts showing the afternoon I returned from a club ride to lunch. No hint of that issue in the AM. I rode the front Metz to 11.5K and then had the new Road 5 GT installed. Completely satisfied with the GT version because there are a lot of twisties in NE Ohio and PA (believe it or not) ! :giggle:

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
1) My God you started a tire thread... 2) If you are going to ride two up, loaded (K1600) and like to drag your elbow in the corners, then yes... if not, you probably won't notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I am going off my memory (meaning that I could be wrong), but I think that the load rating for the Road 5 is the same for GT as for the non-GT. I had bought the non-GT ones by mistake a few months back, but decided to keep it rather than returning them for the GT version. Anyway, I have more than 4k miles on them now, and I do ride them very hard. They are great tires. Better than the PR4GT that I have had before, and better than the Pirelli Angel GT that the Road 5 replaced.

HOWEVER, if you are getting a new set for your RT, I do recommend that you get the GT version!! What happen with the non-GT ones, like the ones that I have now, is that because of the lighter tire carcass, the tires "balloon" out more under inflation pressure, with the end result that when I park my RT in my garage, on center-stand, both front and rear tires are in firm contact with the garage floor! Extremely inconvenient when one has to try to rotate either of the tire to get the fill valve to be accessible to check pressure! Normally, with the correct tires on the RT, the bike would rest lightly on the front wheel, with the rear wheel above the floor by perhaps 1/2".

·
Registered
332 Posts
My next tires will be Road 5's

The quote above is pretty old.

This is a bit newer information.

The email might be old, but they are still talking about the Road 5 and why you shouldn't use them on the RT and pick a GT version instead. So unless they have updated their advice I still see the points as valid. Its like all things, people can do what they want, personally I will choose the tyres that are recommended for the bike. I have a 1250 now and the Z8s have been very good, so might stick another set of them of next

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
The email might be old, but they are still talking about the Road 5 and why you shouldn't use them on the RT and pick a GT version instead. So unless they have updated their advice I still see the points as valid. Its like all things, people can do what they want, personally I will choose the tyres that are recommended for the bike. I have a 1250 now and the Z8s have been very good, so might stick another set of them of next
Absolutely no arguments at all, and I recommend the same thing. BTW, I didn't know that the Z8 is still being made! I was under the impression that it was replaced by the Roadtec 01? Anyway, my '15 RT came with the Z8, and I did like them, but IMHO, performance-wise, the Z8 was almost as good as the PR4GT, but not as good as the Road 5. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Absolutely no arguments at all, and I recommend the same thing. BTW, I didn't know that the Z8 is still being made! I was under the impression that it was replaced by the Roadtec 01? Anyway, my '15 RT came with the Z8, and I did like them, but IMHO, performance-wise, the Z8 was almost as good as the PR4GT, but not as good as the Road 5. Just my opinion.
BMW must have a stock of Z8s, I also have a 1250RT which is only 4 months old in the garage and that has Z8s :)

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Yes, I have been seeing people posting of new machines being delivered with Z8. Perhaps the Roadtec isn't a replacement for it after all. No matter, since I do like the Road 5, the next time that I replace my tires it will be the Road 5 GT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Evening chaps,

Cheers,
Kyle

I've had 4 RTs. They are hard on tires. I've used PR 3, then Pr4 in front and PR3 in back.

When I went to PR 4, I tried GTs. They last longer. If you change tires often, anyway, then PR5 will be OK. They both are great tires, but GTs last longer on heavy bikes. I agree with the "Michelin Man" on this one. Get the GTs, PR4 GTs are great and are entertaining until the end.

My PR4 GTs have a lot of miles on them. They work and stick really well. The rears are square-ish, but not really square. GTs are especially strong if you do a lot of un-curvy riding...flat spot in the middle of the tire is a real buzz-kill!

Bridgestones and Metzlers used to get square on my 99, '03 and '05 RTs...where the bike wouldn't turn until you "fell off the cliff", then you had to hammer it or fall toward the inside of the turn. These are a lot more gradual and they're fun and intuitive to ride on at 7500 miles. I think that's pretty cool.

:alien:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simply put, go with the GT's. You'll be so much happier going the GT route. I put a set on my RT earlier this year and now I can't see myself going with anything else. I can't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I remember it being somewhat comparable to the standard Road 5's.

-Mike.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I bit the bullet and got the GT's, well the front at least ad my rear is okay for now.
Anyway, managed to get out today for a few hours...what a difference! Asidr the fact it is a new tyre, the 5's as with all other road incarnations are just so confidence inspiring with great feedback from the road.

I think the GT was the right choice, previously on my oldwr and lighter bikes I think the stiffwr sidewalls and slightly harder compounds might have affected grip slightly as they didn't have the weight to justify it but on the RT the GTs are truly fantastic!

Thanks for all of your feedback guys, much appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced the PR4 standard tires on my 2011RT. I bought it used and those were what came on it. Anyway, the front had to be replaced earlier than necessary because of cupping. I'm always very careful about checking my tire inflation and never ran them at less than 38 PSI. My mechanic/tire installer said that the sidewalls were too thin for the weight of the bike and believes this is what led to the early demise. So at my next tire change I'll likely be trying the PR5, but only the GT version for the stiffer carcass. (At this tire change I'm trying the old Metz Z8, which so far is pretty good.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts