BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wore out my first set of Pilot Road 3's. Got 10,000 miles out of the rear tire before hitting the wear indicators. The front could have gone longer but it was beginning to cup so I decided to change both. Since I mounted them myself and did not have a balancer, I used Dynabeads. It was my first experience using them but I'm happy to say they gave me 10,000 miles of silky smooth, vibration free riding. I was curious if all those beads churning around inside the tire would cause some internal wear after that kind of mileage. Upon inspection I found some of the beads had some black speckles of rubber on them, picking up a light rubber coating from the tire. It, however, was not enough to show any visible wear on the inside of the tire.

I just mounted a new set of Pilot Road 3's this evening and once again installed Dynabeads to balance. Looking forward to another 10,000 miles of smooth riding. It's also nice not having weights stuck-on the rims which can fall off over time or can be knocked off while cleaning the rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
I used Dyna Beads a couple times, and went back to ceramic.

First, because of what I noted in this post (which has pictures).

Second, because with Dyna Beads (I tried them one more time after my post mentioned above), I would get severe vibration at 85 mph or higher. Yes, sometimes in the middle of a 75 mile long straightaway in the Nevada desert, I go a little fast.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hallzee said:
I used Dyna Beads a couple times, and went back to ceramic.

First, because of what I noted in this post (which has pictures).

Second, because with Dyna Beads (I tried them one more time after my post mentioned above), I would get severe vibration at 85 mph or higher. Yes, sometimes in the middle of a 75 mile long straightaway in the Nevada desert, I go a little fast.... :D
I've been over 120 mph multiple times with no vibration. Is it possible you did not add enough beads to fully balance the wheels? They recommend 1 oz. in the front and 2 oz. in the rear for our size tires. If your tires are still out of balance, it may require more beads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
150flyer said:
Wore out my first set of Pilot Road 3's. Got 10,000 miles out of the rear tire before hitting the wear indicators. The front could have gone longer but it was beginning to cup so I decided to change . . .



Wow! I've been through 3 sets of PR3s and I'm lucky to get 6,000 miles on the rear and 7500-8000 on the front. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
westcott360 said:
150flyer said:
Wore out my first set of Pilot Road 3's. Got 10,000 miles out of the rear tire before hitting the wear indicators. The front could have gone longer but it was beginning to cup so I decided to change . . .



Wow! I've been through 3 sets of PR3s and I'm lucky to get 6,000 miles on the rear and 7500-8000 on the front. :bmw:
Installed them at 8,556 miles on the odometer and replaced them at 18,942.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
150flyer said:
I've been over 120 mph multiple times with no vibration. Is it possible you did not add enough beads to fully balance the wheels? They recommend 1 oz. in the front and 2 oz. in the rear for our size tires. If your tires are still out of balance, it may require more beads.
Being lazy, I used their pre-measured packets; so yes, the weight was per spec. The spec for LT is 2 oz. both front and rear.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top